Chapter 17 ~Part One~

I've been here in Cutback for about a week and a half. Everything's been really uninteresting. I went out to the bar downtown once or twice with my cousins, and like I had said before, they badgered me with questions about how it was being married to a rap god. They complained about how terrible their lives were and how good mine was. They also asked me about that article on MediaTakeOut with Aubrey and me. I ignored the questions of course and tried to enjoy my time with them. That plan failed miserably, so I decided I won't be going anywhere with them again.

Today started out like any other day. I woke up to the beautiful sun rays of Saturday morning peeking through my open blinds.

I wiped the sleep out of my eyes and checked my phone. I hadn't received any texts or calls from Kendrick in about four days. I didn't really care though because this was my relaxation time away from him. The less communication with him the better.

"Mona, baby!" Mamá called to me as I washed my body in the shower. She walked into the bathroom and stood with her hands on her hips.

"Yes, Mamá?"

"Your room looks a mess!" she nagged me.

"I'll clean Mama, I will." I kept my tone calm and sweet.

"Thank you," she said, "but more importantly I have to run some errands in town. And you are coming with me." She pulled the curtain back and pointed directly at me. I shielded my body with my hands.

"MOM!"

"What?" She scrunched up her face. "I used to change your diapers! You don't have anything I haven't already seen! Cooch, crack and all!"

I laughed in spite of me standing butt naked and wet in front of my mother. "Can you get out now ma'am?"

"Yes," she laughed, "but hurry!" she clapped 3 times.

~

About 20 minutes later, I was dressed and ready to go. I chose a pretty white, sleeveless, high-low summer dress to wear today. It included a light brown belt that went around the waist. It was absolutely gorgeous, and since it was the middle of June and 98 degrees outside I decided what better day to wear it.

I buckled up my light brown stilettos, then grabbed my purse off of the rocking chair in the corner of the room and headed downstairs.

I saw Auntie sitting by the island counter drinking coffee. I went over to her and kissed her cheek. "¿Cómo estás esta mañana hermosa?" (How are you this beautiful morning?)

"Soy increíble!" I reply. (I'm amazing)

"That's good honey," she smiled at me and put her hand on my hair.

"Are you OK, Tía?" I ask her, looking deep into her light brown eyes.

"Of course baby, of course," she said then got up to put her coffee mug in the sink. I saw tears welding up in her eyes.

Mamá came downstairs dressed in khaki shorts and a fluffy blue blouse. She slipped on her rough, worn down brown sandals lying by the scale next to the refrigerator.

"Mamá! Don't wear those!" I shielded my eyes from the fashion tragedy in front of me.

She laughed. "Sweetheart, no one will be looking at me. I'm just a frumpy old lady with a big ol' chest."

Auntie and I chuckled. "Now you know where you got those jugs from!" Auntie looked at me and joked. We all cracked up.

"Well... we best get going." Mamá said aloud. She gave her sister a kiss on the cheek and walked toward the front door.