Chapter 11

She..... she died.
We had only been here for 4 days before the caretaker at the adoption center called us last night and explained what happened.

She had went missing three days ago, so they called the police. The police got on it right away and not even 12 hours later they had found her. Dead in an alley.

They did an autopsy on her sweet, young body and said she was covered in semen. She was raped.

Gang raped.

When we heard the news, I fell out of my chair and shook. Noooo! I sobbed.
I used all my strength to get up and go over to the envelope that was sitting neatly on the nightstand next to our bed. The letter she had sent us almost a month ago.

I opened the envelope slowly. I reread it over and over again. Then I noticed something I hadn't before. The way she hearted her I's and how she swirled her y's. And the way she finished out the letter: Love, Theophilia

Kendrick stood by me and held me as I read the closing over and over again.

All of my hopes for our family and her were shattered right within that moment. I had planned on going shopping with her and talking about boys and having family movie nights with her. All of the things my mom had done with me....

I wanted the opportunity to give her a better life than I had had.... one with a mother and father there who would do anything to keep her happy and would love her unconditionally. Whether she was blood or not. And now I wouldn't have that chance..... and neither would she. Or Kendrick for that matter.

They said they were going to just cremate her. That tore me up inside because it broke my heart to think that they were just going to burn her innocent body up and continue with life.... as if nothing had happened.

This would forever scar me.
Me.... and my marriage.