Chapter 7

"So, when I tried to fix the layer of water, our home was attacked. My daughter is missing, and now you tell me Aqnis is missing as well?" Meni was furious. She didn't yell as Tawarln would have. Instead her tone was sinister and far more frightening. She stood in the center of the shrine of water's lobby, having been recalled from her mission to the layer of water before it even began. She still had her bow, having not slept since the night before. Mages surrounded her in a circle each too scared to get close. The mage she was addressing was not a water mage, but a wind mage. Tawarln had sent Melanie to inform Meni of the situation.

"We searched the debris but there was no sign of Aqnis, dead or alive. I am sorry about your daughter." Melanie stayed calm, knowing that Meni would not hurt her no matter how angry she was. She had been in these situations before dealing with more local disputes of her own territory. Her experience helped her avoid intimidation from Meni.

"Excuse me, if I may, I think I have some information on Maryine's situation." Andrew stepped forward out of the circle of mages. Those near him shimmied away, as if the paralyzing glare that Meni gave him would jump to them as well.

"Where is she?" This time Meni did yell.

"Um," Andrew stuttered unable to speak. The moment Meni was about to raise her voice once more Andrew found the courage to talk, cutting her off. "She was injured last night. A boy from the Tawarln territory took her home. I stopped by there just recently and they were both missing. I believe he called himself Nypre."

"Nypre." Meni's glare intensified, despite her having already lost interest in Andrew. "I know him. He was one of those who walked through the Night Land." Meni grunted. She took a glance at all the mages, then back to Melanie. "It's useless. All of it." Meni clenched her bow, a look of malice on her face. She left the shrine, leaving the frightened crowd behind her. Nobody dare ask where she was going. Melanie was the next to leave the frightened group as she had other business to attend to.

Melanie returned to the hill where Falkner's siege weapon had been destroyed by Tawarln's hand. She walked up to the broken husk that remained of it, squatting down and inspecting it closely. The design was intriguing, but more than that was what the weapon was made of. Simple materials such as wood and silk. Melanie suspected Falkner was a technical genius, capable of making powerful devices from even the most mundane materials. She heard the sound of footsteps on the grass causing her to stand up alarmed. She turned and saw Deren walking up the hill to her. He smiled upon noticing her. She returned the friendly face.

"Hello Deren, what brings you here?" She asked him calmly.

"I'm here for the same reason you are, I expect. Tawarln wants to scout out the camp himself after what happened yesterday. His plan is to find Aqnis and free her if possible, and if she is anywhere she is likely there." Deren explained. He wore basic leather armor, instead of the usual Aqnis fashion. He was ready for a fight this time, unlike the previous day. Now, the only person Tawarln expected to be there wasn't, and that was Tawarln himself.

"I wasn't expecting another to be joining us. Do you have any experience being invisible?" Melanie quizzed Deren, both out of concern and to pass the time while they waited. Deren shook his head.

"My mother used invisibility, but only on our house when we were away." Deren replied.

"I remember. You may not remember me, as it was many years ago, but I was one of those who tracked down your mother in order to learn wind magic. I was much younger at the time." Melanie recalled. She had seen both Nypre and Deren there but paid them no mind. She imagined the two were used to people finding Wonik to learn magic.