Chapter 20

Nypre's eyes slowly opened to a view of blurry darkness. As his vision returned, so did his pain. He was in a completely different area than where he fell unconscious. It looked like a makeshift tent. He was placed in a fairly crude bedroll to rest. As his body woke up more, the pain began to subside. He was still sore everywhere, especially his neck. When the pain stopped he forced himself to sit up. It didn't hurt too much, but the sores did remind him they were there. He took a glance around the tent before standing, seeing that there was nothing but him and the bedroll inside.

His stomach growled menacingly. He hadn't had anything to eat in a long time. His hunger was enough motivation to stand up. He made his way out of the tent, pulling aside the cloth doorway and revealing the outside.

The clear night sky greeted him with a beautiful array of stars. Smoke rose towards them, emanating from large ornamental torches spread through the grassy area. He was in a camp, a very large one, full of tents similar to the one he had just escaped from. People of all shapes and sizes were chatting with each other. Nypre recognized people from Aqnis's territory, people from Falkner's territory, and people from Tawarln's territory. All of them were talking as if they were among friends. The world he woke up to was very different than the one he was used to. He decided it would be best to keep to the side for now, and try to figure out what was happening.

Lina sat at a hastily made table with Norris and Deren. Norris and Deren each had a fairly fancy dish of fish, while Lina had no food. She preferred to look out over the sea of happiness she had helped create.

"You did an amazing job Lina." Deren smiled at her. Lina returned the smile.

"Yes, Falkner's people were afraid. Once they caught wind of Falkner's death they were quick to surrender. I'm glad you were able make the process go smoothly." Norris complimented.

"Yes, well Jordan and I talked a lot about how to handle this. I explained that they shouldn't feel as if they surrendered because we are not taking over the territory. Instead, they will be able to choose their own leader in whatever method they prefer, and we will unite under the shadow of a common enemy." Lina said happily.

"They all seemed to believe that Falkner was under control of the Night Land pretty easily." Deren said.

"Of course, given how he's acted so irrationally. Their hatred for elves may never go away, but that's something that needs time. Once we explained that the Night Land has nothing to do with the elves, they all agreed that it is the bigger threat." Lina explained. "One of the main reasons they all wanted to attack the elves was to run from the Night Land anyway. It's really the Night that they hate so much, not the elves. Once I explained we can fight it if we all work together, people agreed."

"That and they had no other choice." Norris admitted. "Some will not like the change, preferring Falkner's way of thinking. This celebration you came up with is a good way to work out those kinks."

"Yes. It really serves as a way for everyone to see that we are all human, and are the same. Even though we come from different places, deep down it's irrelevant. Besides, it was Deren's idea for a party." Lina admitted.

"Well, I didn't think of it that deeply. I just wanted some happiness. After everything we've been through lately we could use some. I mean, my mother is still under control of the Night Land, and that thought still burns within me, but for now we should be happy as we have taken a major step forward towards saving her." Deren explained.

Lina reached forward, grabbing Deren's hand and looking him in the eyes. "We'll free Wonik." She said reassuringly. Deren pulled his hand away with a nervous chuckle. As if to break the tension, a soldier of Falkner's army, now out of his armor and in much more casual clothing, came by and offered the three a drink which they gratefully accepted. Norris took a swig of his drink and a strange look appeared on his face. Lina held the glass in her hand, about to take a drink as Norris stopped her. She looked up Norris worried, wondering what was happening.