Chapter 15

Nypre stood alone in a large room plain room. To his left was a raised wall.  A staircase Nypre passed on the way to this room served as the path to the top of the platform. It was where Meni would stand during the test. Aside from the wall, the room was truly empty. White tile crowded the floor from wall to wall. The room was so clean and white it was almost blinding. Light from the living elements that illuminated the top platform reflected throughout the mirror like room.

Maryine led Nypre here, taking him by surprise. She seemed in a more solemn mood, avoiding small talk with him as they walked together. She didn't even grab his hand to lead him like she had always done before. Nypre was hoping she'd be more excited about the test, but something was wrong.

Nypre was left alone in the room by Maryine, having no idea what would happen. The only thing Maryine told Nypre was that she couldn't tell him anything about the test. Only that Meni had not tested a mage in a long time, as the tests were reserved for mages that knew of other elements.

Nypre had been tested to see if he was capable of wind magic, he assumed it would be the same with water magic. When he told Maryine about what his mother called a test, Maryine explained it was only a ritual to determine his magical ability. The trial he would have to pass here was made just for him, to show Meni the type of person he was.

Nypre broke from his thoughts, hearing the sound of a door closing echo through the empty room. He looked up the wall, seeing the upper half of Meni looking over it down at him over the raised balcony.

"Hello Nypre." Meni sounded and looked superior. "You wish to learn water magic. My daughter has brought you here. I will determine whether or not you are worthy of the gift I can provide."

"Thank you." Nypre decided to go the polite route, feeling the test had already begun. Meni was surprised at Nypre's response. She continued her speech that she had prepared.

"I will test you on your strength of magic as well as your strength on heart. First, tell me the reason you wish to learn water magic." Meni said.

"I need all the help I can get to save my mother." Nypre was honest. Meni had read his mind once before, it would be foolish to lie to her.

"Your intentions are pure. That is the first step. Let's see how you handle the next." As Meni spoke, the door behind Nypre opened and closed. Nypre took a step away surprised. Maryine stood just in front of the door. She stared at Nypre, a dubious look on her face. Nypre took another step away, already figured out what was to come.

"I am your test. Defeat me in combat and you will learn water magic." Maryine explained. Nypre shook his head. He looked up to Meni.

"Why do I have to fight her?" He asked.

"Because that is the test I have chosen for you. In the past I always tested already skilled mages wishing to learn another element with a sparring match. It is more important now, given the Night Land can take control of any person. If you prove yourself too weak to defend yourself against such a daunting foe you will not obtain my magic. If I give you my magic and you lose to the Night Land it will be used against me. So I ask before we begin, do you wish to withdraw from the test?" Meni asked. Nypre looked to Maryine unsure what to do. He was about to say no when Maryine attacked without hesitation to prevent him from making the wrong choice.

"Meni-dorei!" She shouted holding up her hands. Nypre was not expecting the attack. A large plume of water formed in her hands, firing forward towards him. The water hit him with such force he was sent flying backwards. He fell on his back hard, pain surged through his body. Maryine did not seem to be holding back. "Meni-dorei!" She repeated. A large ball of ice appeared above him body, hovering there for a moment as it formed. Nypre's eyes widened, he rolled out the way just as the ice fell to the ground, shattering on the floor.