Chapter 1

Only a gentle breeze disturbed the ocean's surface. Beneath the barrier was perfect harmony. The grains of sand on the ocean floor were untouched by the destructive gusts. The earth beneath was a friend, unlike the wind above. The water was shallow here. It was a safe place for communion. Elsewhere, where the earth and the skies were most separate, was something dark. This darkness was different than any of the elements. It embargoed the water. No magic could flow through to the center layer. The obstruction was a force new to the ocean, something that had never been dealt with. What was the force that plagued the waters?

Maryine could see herself. She was floating, suspended in the water beneath the sky above and the earth below. Light from the rising sun sprinkled along the surface of the water. Her vision grew clearer, allowing her to make out the details of her apparel. Her light blue skirt was wavy when underneath the water, flowing in all directions. The clothing crossed her chest and back from her skirt to her shoulders, covering the essentials without restricting her movement. Her long dark hair spread wildly through the seawater as if it were its own creature. She saw her face as details became clearer. Her slanted eyes were shut as she wore a tranquil expression. There was peace throughout every inch of her golden tanned skin.

All at once, that peace was disturbed. A creature was on top of her, its many legs wrapped around her. She struggled, gasping for air. She couldn't breathe. She clung for the surface, but it was just out of arms reach. Her body was numb as the creature bit into her neck. She sank to the floor below, crashing into the grains of sand that lined it. Still she struggled, but there was no air.

"Show me who seeks me out. Show me who you are. Show me your mind," a dark voice hissed as shadows danced within Maryine's vision. Darkness swept over her, she could feel the evil she sought out. It crawled through her mind, scratching at her will. Memories that were lost were forcefully ripped out of her for all to see. She could see herself as an infant, held in her father's arms. Her father talked with her mother in a soft way as not to disturb her. Her vision was too blurred to make out anything else. She could only hear their voices.

"You've felt it too. Her magic is already so strong. She will become a powerful mage," her father explained.

"Too much magic is a dangerous thing. You recall my sister, and what it did to her. What I helped encourage," her mother responded.

"We've been through this. You can't keep blaming yourself for her actions. Maryine's magic is different than your sister's. You are not related by blood. None of you are."

"I understand that. We will need to be cautious. It is far too early to discuss further."

Everything changed. Maryine was older now, sitting in her mother's lap. She was only four years old. Her mother was reading her a book, occasionally pointing out the sounds of words. Maryine's mother seemed to struggle teaching her as much as she was struggling with the learning. It was a book of children's tales. Her mother was reading her a story about fairies.

The fairies lived in a peaceful land, far from harm. They looked like humans, but were small and had wings like a butterfly. They lived in a secret world that existed high in the clouds safe from the others. One day a special fairy was born. This fairy was the strongest of all the fairies. "I am the strongest," she would say.

The others were jealous of her power. "If you are so powerful, why don't you use your power?" The fairy accepted their challenge, and flew downwards to our world. She flew to the forest and battled a spider of her size. But the fairies were not impressed.

"Fairies have fought spiders before. You are not the strongest," they told her. So she flew to Yin's territory, and battled an imp that was twice her size. But the fairies were still not impressed.