Chapter 9

Nypre stood blankly at the docks. It wasn't the fancy, large docks near the lighthouse that he originally arrived at. Instead, he stood upon the smaller docks north of town for the civilian fishing vessels. It was clear these docks were not for show. The weathered wood was home to tiny shelled creatures which latched onto it, likely feasting on particulates when the tide came to them.  Small boats, some that were the size of mere rowboats, flooded the water around the docks, each tied by thick ropes.

"Hello Nypre." Nypre heard Maryine's voice from behind him. He turned to face her.

She stood there shyly, looking extra adorable this morning. "I've been looking for you, the rest of the crew has already gathered."

"Sounds good." Nypre found himself saying little around Maryine, always talking with short abrupt sentences. The conversation he had with Deren about her the previous day was still heavy on his mind. Deren made some valid points about his involvement with Maryine, and saving their mother. Still, a part of him felt uncanny talking about her behind her back.

Nypre followed Maryine until they both stood in front of a large vessel. It wasn't large enough to dock at the main dock, but seemed out of place here as well. It had a single mast with a large white sail for transportation, an elevated backside indicating a small cabin, and a lower deck for storage. The ship was made of dark wood that was surprisingly well kept in comparison to some of the other ships Nypre had been examining. The only way on to the ship from the dock was a thin piece of wood that led to the deck.

Maryine didn't hesitate, walking up the plank with ease. Nypre followed, getting a nice look at her backside as she walked up slope in front of him. As they stepped on to the ship Nypre saw the rest of the crew gathered in a small bunch. They all stood there dubiously as what Nypre assumed was the captain, an old man wearing rugged clothing and wrinkly skin, ran the rounds.

His age, quite visible in his pale white hair alone, had worn him down over the years. This didn't stop him from moving quickly around the ship.

"You didn't tell us we'd be sailing with the crazy captain." One of the mages complained. Nypre recognized him as Andrew, the mage who turned Maryine over to him when she was injured.

"I think it fits Maryine just fine." Another man standing next to Andrew sneered.

"Don't be rude. This is the only person with a ship willing to take us. That's no reason to call him crazy." Maryine argued. "Now, we have our wind mage so we're ready to start off whenever Captain Elijah is."

"Please, just call me Captain. I prefer it." The old man shouted from afar. The entire group looked over to him, impressed by his hearing ability. Andrew and his friend didn't seem to show any sign of guilt, despite knowing that he heard them call him crazy. Maryine decided it would be best to skip to introductions. She introduced Nypre to Tanner, Naomi, Andrew, and Casey.

"So, what will I be doing to help?" Nypre asked, looking to Maryine. The other mages had already split up, each taking positions are different locations of the ship. They were set to manipulate the waters and currents to allow for easy sailing.

"It's easy." Maryine grabbed Nypre's arm, pulling him towards the center of the ship. He followed without struggle.

She placed him right behind the mast and pointed to the cloth. "It's up to you to manipulate the winds to assure we always have a good gust to guide us."

"Good guiding gust, sounds great." Nypre stated with a grin. Maryine giggled lightly, before retreating away to her position. "Make sure you pace yourself. It's going to be a long trip." She called as she ran, her feet lifted with cheer.