Wings, a Cure, and Acceptance

A/n: I know this doesn't mesh with any of the timelines, but what is fanfiction for, if not self-serving cannon modification? Also, I haven't changed fandoms on you, Matt shows up about a quarter of the way through. This one is longer than usual, but it's been on my computer forever, so here it is.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

-1985-

"Hey Charles, do you have a minute?" You ask as you step into his office.

He looks up and sets some papers to the side. "Of course."

"I wanted to talk to you about the new 'cure' for the mutant gene."

He furrows his brows. "Were you thinking about getting it, y/n?"

You bite your lip and nod. "I wanted to talk to you."

"Well I can't tell you what to do, that's something you have to decide for yourself."

"I know, that's not why I came to you. You're my cousin, and a fellow mutant, not to mention all the research you've done on the mutant gene. Hell, you started this place." You motion to the halls of the school. "You've always been of the opinion that we should try and blend in with humans, right?"

"Coexisting with humans and becoming one are two different things." He notices you wince at that and softens. "How much have you thought about this?"

"I still am. That's all I'm doing right now. I mean, my mutation isn't one that I can just tuck away from the public." Your wings flutter subconsciously. "Maybe it would be better."

He nods. "Maybe. You'd have a lot fewer stares; people would accept you, trust you quicker. But you'd also be giving up a pretty big part of yourself. All those years you spent learning to fly and to embrace yourself would've been for nothing. I'm not going to try and sway you one way or the other, but I've never heard you talk about wanting to be rid of your mutation. I could see you on 'mutant and proud' posters. What has you thinking about it?"

"When you heard about it, it didn't even cross your mind?"

He shakes his head. "I thought about the civil war it could ignite among mutants; about how mutants like Eric would react to it. But not for myself, no."

You sigh. "Theo thinks I should do it."

"He told you that?"

Charles has never liked your boyfriend, and you know this won't make him like Theo any better. The thing is, you need someone who understands what it's like, and won't push you one way or the other. Charles is exactly that person. "Before you freak out, it's not like he heard about it and came running with the good news. I asked what he thought. At first, he told me it wasn't his decision. I pressed, and he said he loves me either way, but if he had the chance to 'be normal' he'd take it." At that, you can see Charles trying to reign in his temper before he speaks again.

"Y/n, I'm sorry, but do you really want to be with someone who thinks you're strange? I know you don't want to hear it, but you deserve someone who celebrates what makes you special. Not someone who only loves you in spite of the fact that you're some kind of freak."

"I didn't come here for a lecture on my choice of boyfriends Charles. I came here because I respect you and thought you might be able to help me sort through it." You tell him before you stand to storm out.

"Y/n, wait."

"What?" You spit, still facing the door.

"For God's sake, look at me."