The First Space Trip- Chapter 2

Chapter 2: The choosen astronaut 

Tom went through a training program that we call the astronaut candidate training. In this 18 months training, they had to go through fight school. In flight school, I saw Tom struggling to eject the seat in our high performance plane, T-34. It would be much worse to drive a space ship. He also had problems to fix the jet. But overall, he seemed okay doing that. I would see him practice everyday with a few hardworking candidates on his weak parts. He soon out stand most of them.

He was eager to fly a T-38, a higher advanced plane. Lucky, he used to go to flight school before. And rode on one. It would really be a bad idea if he actually didn’t know how to fly an aeroplane. What makes me wonder is that why he was doing so badly at first when he has been to fight school? Why didn’t he become a pilot?

I followed them to their campsite. Survival skills was necessary as if we couldn’t find them when they got back to earth. Tom could easily go through this camp and still excel better than the others. Maybe Tom being an astronaut wasn’t a bad idea after all. I kept Joanna updated because she was afraid of her husband’s childishness

When they returned back from camp, they went into our KC-135, our latest and our most proud invention. As excited as a child, he waited eagerly waited for the fun to begin. The white world started to such in the candidate’s gravity and they started to float. Unlike the others, whom were struggling to move about, Tom could do it easily.

They then had to learn about the spacecraft itself. And had to take tests which was about 200 questions long. Tom was really interested in the subject so he studied diligently on his own. Joanna told me that he stood up late at night to finish his studies for the next day. I laughed when I saw Tom trying to act like a fat, chubby person when he wore his spacesuit for the first time. I took a picture. Tom then begged me not to send it to Joanna but I had already sent it. Tom is a very childish person. But Tom did the best among his fellow candidates.

After the 18 months of hard training, Each of the candidates received a silver badge. Tom was chosen to be the first astronaut to orbit the moon for his work. Joanna was so happy and was also worried for Tom.

I watched the grand ceremony, but I was interrupted by Mc Cuision. “ I need to talk to you alone.” He said. We went to the corridor and then he said “ You’ve been here for quite long and have been helping the candidates on their mission. You’ve also been good doing the work, so I’m putting  you in charge of the space mission.” I was so shocked. Me, in charge of the whole mission. That’s a lot to handle. 

“ I accept the job.” I announced to him.

“ Great, I know you would except the job. I expect the space shuttle to leave space in about three months.” Mc Cuision. Three months, that’s going to be tough. We have to make preparations starting tomorrow. I choose to take the job because of Tom. This space mission could mean risking a man’s life! That’s why I took the big responsibility of the space mission. I’m doing this for Tom. And Joanna.