The First Space Trip- Chapter 1

Chapter 1: My friend Joanne

The first time I heard of Tom was when Joanne reveled the good news to me at our usual get-together coffee time at the Dome. I nearly chocked on my creamy white Cuppuccino when my best friend since our childhood excitedly told me about the great news. 

“You’re getting married?! To who? Why didn’t you tell me?” I exclaimed. Everyone at the coffee shop was staring at me. I can’t help it, screaming like that all of a sudden. Joanne didn’t seem embarassed and kept sipping her dark Espresso with gave out the relaxing scent. I sat down in embarassment.

“I never told you because you said that you didn’t want to hear such stuff.” She said, putting down her mug “Anyway, the guy I’m marrying is Tom Raymond. He is the nice and funny type. And ones that are interested in things that fly, especially space stuff.”

I relaxed and said “Well, congratulations! You’re lucky to met your love life. And I said that nine years ago, when we were thirteen years old.” 

This was our usual hangout place since we were nine. Dome had a nice window display with a warm background. It’s coffee tables at the waiting place had a nice coal black colour with dark crimson red sofas around it. The tables were made out of shiny, rich brown wood with a matching brown chairs with red pillows to cushion the seats and back. There were frames of the success of this old styled place. At the center of the restaurant, there was this big dome that was neatly painted with angels and a compass. 

We always come here to try out the new pastries and cookies. But that was when we were young. But sometimes, I would do the same as we used too. Now we just get our favourite coffee and chat until it was time to go.

Joanne was in a deep silence, as if she tying to figure out a mystery.

“Unfortunately, not so lucky. A week after he propose, his boss, for some reason fired Tom. So now we have to find jobs.” Joanne broke out.

I pitied my friend. Suddenly, I got an idea.

“You said Tom likes things in space right? Well, is he physically fit?” I asked.

“Yes, quite strong.” Joanne answered. “Why?”

“There is a new organisation called NASA, which stands for National Aeronautics and Space Administration. I had recently got a job there as part of the ground control. And they are desperately looking for astronauts. May be Tom can be one!” I said.

“I’m not so sure....... I’m afraid for him. Being in space is dangerous.” Joanna said unsure.

“They pay a high price and Tom seems to be a good candidate. I’m sure he won’t mind about going into space. They have programs to train people to be astronauts by using latest technology. They have ensured the safety of their crew.” I explained. Joanna kept silent. 

“We would talk about it.” Joanna said. “Oh! I have to go, job interview. See you tomorrow!” And she left through the black door. I was alone but happy. I hope they get a job.

A week later, our boss, Mc Cuistion, announced that we have a new member to the crew. Then I saw Tom. I could tell because he was wearing a name tag and Mc Cuistion said out his name.

That’s how Tom Raymond’s space career began. Maybe I shouldn’t have recommended them to this company. Like Joanna said, Space is dangerous.

Only a few years later is when I know how dangerous space can actually be.

This story is dedicated to the creator of the song: Space Oddity, who is David Bowie. I will post the song later. The story would not have been made if this song/poem was not created.