The First Space Trip- Chapter 3

Chapter 3: We have a problem.

Two months have passed and there was still a lot of work to do. We had to finish the spacecraft, we still have to make enough food and water for the journey and gather enough oxygen. We still have to train Tom and get him regular check-ups so that he will have a higher chance to survive in space. I can’t let Joanna down.

But the thing is, since this is one of our first space missions, there were lots of interviews and shows we have to be on. So we couldn’t get things done easily. Joanna had a semi-circle shaped smile to know that Tom had become a celebrity. But she said she was afraid of Tom’s fans. That’s true.

During one of our last interviews, everyone wanted to know everything about Tom. Even the brand of shirt he’s wearing. The reporters just talked to me about the space mission that Tom would be in. But then suddenly, one of the engineers of the spacecraft, Eden Chang, ran towards me as if a fire had just happened. He panted breathlessly “ Ms Gema, the gas tanks are out of place and the circuit keeps dying! Come and look!” I was in panic. If the spacecraft cannot be fixed, NASA is going to get bankrupt. If we don’t fix the craft, Tom’s life is in danger. The shocked reporters followed us to the spacecraft. Eden then shooed them away.

I went towards the main engineer, Mr Walson. “ What’s wrong?” I asked. “ The spare gas tank, the one to enter earth, could not be fixed on to the space craft. It is too small. We don’t have a spare and it will take a month for another to arrive. The circuit keeps shutting itself down and if that happens, all communications to Tom will be cut off.” Mr Walson explained.

“ Is there anything we can do?” I asked. I was determined to make this space mission a success. For Tom. For Joanna.

“ Yes, there is one option. There is an old spacecraft with the spare gas tank at the right size. We could fill it up with gas and put it on the spacecraft but I’m afraid it’s too old......”

He tried to finish. “ I don’t care! So long as it is stable and safe, go for it.” I demanded. 

Then Eden came running towards us, in a better look than before. “ The circuit stopped. It’s okay now.” He told. That mean this problem was over, we could easily start the mission quite soon. “Go and tell the others to get the gas tank in old asteroid 1980.” Mr Walson commanded. “ Yes sir!” Eden said in relief.

A day before the space launch, I over heard Joanna’s conversation with Tom.

“Tom, are you sure you want to do this. You can get hurt.”

“I have to. If I leave the mission, who else could fill up the position?”

“Just be safe.”

Yes Joanna. I’ll make sure he’ll be back safe. I saw them hug each other saying goodbye. The last one.