The First Space Trip- Chapter 4

Chapter 4: Lift off

We had finished the final interview, everyone went into their places, working nervously on this space mission. I stood near the controls, checking whether all thing were done properly. Tom had his last check up and was seated in his passenger seat. We were ready to take off. Mr Cuision was witnessing the whole historical event.

Tom gave a thumbs up from the video cam. All systems ready. Boosters, check. Engine, check. Communication,  check.

“Ground control to Major Tom, Ground control to Major Tom. Take your proteins and put your helmet on.” I said through the microphone headset. He put his helmet on and said “ Ready when you are.”

“10, Ground control to Major Tom.” I said. Tom put on his secure seatbelt. “ 9, 8, 7, 6. Commencing Countdown, engines on.” Tom flicked a few buttons. The Gas tanks heated up. steam came from all around the spacecraft. “ 5, 4, 3, 2, Check ignition.” I said. Tom looked at the ignition. “ 1. And may god’s love be with you. Lift off.” I said, Flames came out of the boosters and the spacecraft started to lift up slowly. Then it went faster and faster. The first gas tank went out. Tom dropped it. Instead of falling, it float. 5 minutes later, the dropped the second gas tank. It floated away slowly. Into space.

“ Ground Control to Major Tom, Ground Control to Major Tom. Do you copy?” I asked frantically. “ Copy that. Gema, I finally reached space.” Tom said in awe. The whole group cheered in victory. Tom is on his way to the moon. I sighed in relief. This trip could take a couple of months so we have to wait for the victorious moment to come.

3 months later, Tom replied the few words we’ve been waiting for “ I’ve reached the moon.” I immediately put on my headphones and said “ This is ground control to Major Tom, you’ve really made the grade! And the papers want to know who’s shirt your wearing, again. Now it’s time to leave the capsule, if you dare.”

Through the video cam. We could see the door open to revile the beauty of space. It was all black with a few white speaks that disappear, the beauty of the unknown world. Tom slowly stepped out of the space shuttle and slowly went down. His two big white shoes touched the ground, creating a small storm of dust. He kept walking, each step was like a kangaroo’s jump. Now that we have completed the mission, it’s time to go back home. 

But the troubles was not finished yet. Tom still needed to get back home safe before we can say that the mission was a complete success. 

Three months later, my worst fear came. “ Ready to enter earth Tom?” I asked. “ Ready, oh damn!” he said in dismay. That’s not good. “ What’s wrong.” I asked in a serious mode. “ The tanks broke! There’s not enough gas! I can’t re-enter earth!” Tom said in panic. The commotion has spun the whole crew wild. Every member was asking “ What should we do! How can we bring him back to earth? He’s at least 100,000 miles away from earth!”

“ Tom, how’s your oxygen tank?” I asked. “ I’ll last for two to three hours.” He answered. This was not good. We can’t be able to bring him back in that few hours. What I’m I to do. Joanna rushed the scene, looking very worried. “ Tell my wife I love her,” Tom said suddenly. Tom. He wasn’t going to make it. I paused. “ She knows.” I assured.

We shouldn’t have used that old gas tank. We should have postpone the mission or cancel it. Then there was interruption in my headphones. The circuit, it’s dying again! I called. “ Ground Control to Major Tom, your circuit is dead. There’s something wrong. Can you hear me Major Tom, can you hear me Major Tom, can you hear me Major Tom, Can you hear-” The circuit was dead. And in the few hours, Tom will be too. I looked at Joanna. Tears filled up her eyes. The crew hug their heads.

I failed.