3

Jeudi Pov

I woke up to the smell of plantains bacon and eggs, my mom was throwing down in the kitchen.

Today was Labor Day, which means the labor parade in the city is about to be lit.

I grabbed my bajan flags and sat down to do my makeup.

Labor Day weekend means that my birthday is in four weeks!!! I'm turning 23 and imma be so turnt up. Me and Malaysia are going to the city, not far at all, just spending the week in Soho away from our families and from all the drama. We're just chilling and going out.

I started shaping my eyebrows when my mom knocked on the door.

"Baby girl, you going to the Labor Day parade this year?"

Me and my mama haven't really talked since she told me about her"condition" so I was hesitant to respond

"Yeah mama, my costumes right there."

"Mmmm, now you know ya dad gonna kill you if you walk out the house in that."

"Mama, can you talk to him. You wore these kind of outfits when you were  my age, what's the big difference."

"The big difference baby is that he's your father, and he wasn't mine. But I do have an idea. I'll distract him while you leave. Then he won't notice what you have on."

I smiled and nodded at my mama. I picked up my costume and headed downstairs. My mama and dad were in his office and she was distracting him from the front door.

I crept past them and grabbed my keys and wallet. I walked out the front door and went to close it. I closed it silently and ran to my car.

"So you think you could really sneak out? And not say goodbye?"

I looked up from my car and it was my dad standing in the doorway. I shook my head and got out the car. "Dad I just didn't want you to tell me I couldn't go, or wear my costume to be honest."

He smiled and walked over to my car. He gave me a hug and looked down at me. "Just have fun. Your old enough to know to do the right thing. Just be safe down there and know I have someone to make sure you don't get hurt."

"I'm guessing that part isn't optional right?" I asked

He smiled, kissed my forehead and walked away. "Have fun" he said before closing the front door.

I got in my car and drove to Malaysia's house. I beeped the horn three times before I got out the car.

Malaysia came out and stared posing in her costume in the doorway. She started twerking and twirling.

"Yasss bitch, you ready to fuck it up at this parade?" I asked

"Girl I was ready last year lets get down there."

I parked my car and we ubered it to the train station. We got on the train and headed to the parade.

Once we got there the parade was already in full effect and it was only 11oClock.

We started walking with the Jamaican float and started twerking and walking. The music was lit and the nigga on the mic was amping everyone up.

"Yo girl there's the Bajen float right there."

She said and we started running towards it, but there was so many Jamaican niggas that we could barely get through.