Chapter 6

I pulled into the parking lot of Samantha's Restaurant and Pub and parked in my usual spot, it was close so I wouldn't have to walk so far in the cold. I turned the engine off and ran into the staff room in the restaurant that sheltered me from the cold and went to the machine that counted our shifts, and tapped my name with my finger.

"Hey Haleigh!" Eric greeted with a smile.

Eric was my co-worker and one of the few friends I have that is my age. I haven't seen him in ages because he was in Cancun with his husband, Johnathon for a few weeks.

"Hey Eric! How was Cancun?"

"Sunny and warm, definitely a nice break from this horrid weather." He said in his thick British accent.

"Oh, um, you can have short shift today, I have to make up for some work and that way you can have more time with Avery." I pulled him into a long hug and gave him a playful kiss on the cheek. We were really close, so him and everyone else that was in the staff room knew it was a joke.

"Whoa, I don't swing that way lil mama."He said, trying to fake an American accent, but failing.

"Well, I should probably get out there and get to work." I said, taking my coat off and replacing it with an apron. I put my phone in the apron in case the flat burnt on fire and she had the heart to contact me. 

As I walked behind the counter, a usual customer sat on the bar stool and I began getting his usual pint of beer.

"Hey Jake, how've you been?" I asked sitting the beer on a coaster in front of him.

"Well, good I guess. It would be better if  I had you to snog with at night." I rolled my eyes, huffing at him and took the four pounds out of his hands and put it in the cash register.

"Jay, for the last time, I'm not going to date, fuck or snog with you. You know that. So why try?" I glared at him while the receipt printed. 

"Well, you see, I can see right into you. I know how your past was and I know how your future will be."

"Oh really?" I questioned. This might be interesting.

"Oh yeah. Let's start with your past. Your American. So you probably moved here with high hopes. Maybe for a new start, or just to stay here a few years for college."

"Close enough." I said with a shrug.

"Either you met a guy here or came with one, and then you had your beautiful daughter. Anna. But you got tired of his tosser ways, and left."

"Well first off," I began my sentence and went to the other side of the empty bar cleaning a half spilled martini from a costumer that just left and continued, "I came here with a guy, a superstar guy, in hopes of starting something new together and second, her name is Avery not Anna, jackass..." I mumbled the last part when I walked away from him.

"So I was right, apart from your daughters name of course." His british accent cut me deep and his piercing blue eyes made me get goosebumps.

"No, he wansn't a tosser. He was the sweetest, most caring man you could meet. I was the douche in the situation and I didn't want to get hurt if things went wrong."

He nodded his head and continued.

"Now to your future." My eyes rolled to the back of my head and I let out a long huff.

"Whatever."

"One day, you'll be sad, lonely, and have no one to talk to, so you'll go back to him,"

If he ever forgives me.

"And then he'll break your heart and you'll be crawling to me. Just wait." And before I could argue he walked away, leaving me angry. Who does he think he is? God? He can't tell the future and I'd never run into his arms! Asshole.