Chapter 9

3 weeks later

|Viola|

William has been sneaking outta bed at all hours of the night... I don't know who the hell he is sneaking out to see but it's been bothering me.

It was about maybe 3:22 am and Willie was outside in our hall outside our floors apartments on the phone.

I snuck up at the crook of the door dressed in one of his shirts.

He had on slacks and shoes and a wife beater tucked in as if he was ready to go some where.

"I can't keep doing this mane....yes I know I'll be there okay just tell me where to find these cats...gotcha Big B" he said with his back turned towards our door.

He hung up and it made a chime I quickly ran back into bed pretending to be sleep.

He looked over to me and got dressed in a suit in tie nothing fancy.He grabbed his hat and left.

I sat up crossing my legs together...who the hell is that person? See now he got me all balled up. He could at least gave me some loving before he left.

He came back around 6 I was already up waiting for him... I sat up against the bed board and watched him.

"Hey baby..." he said with a nervous smile.

"Where were you? huh?" I said with my arms folded over.

"Not cheating that's for sure.." He snapped back.

"What's that supposed to mean William!?" I got out of bed and I stood up to his level on my tippy toes of course with my finger in his face.

"Aye Nola don't play you bouta start something you really anit gonna be able to finish." He said clenching his jaw. First time I've seen him mad.

"You know what why am I explaining myself to a child..?" He added on turning away from me.

"A child?! A CHILD WILLIAM?! was I not woman enough to marry your sneaky ass?? to take your last name?" I question walking behind him basically talking to his back.

"Yeah look dolly your 16 love I'm 20 you need to grow up you in a grown up city. As a matter fact you shoulda been had this place cleaned instead of squawking in my ear!" He said facing

It wasn't supposed to be this way. I lit a cigarette and angrily made his ass breakfast because by the time we finished arguing it was time for him to head to work.

I threw his plate in front of him.

I went outside to the hall and made a call.

"Harlem night club" I said to the operator.

"Viola Truser, I don't think I can come in today..." I said to who ever was on the other end.

"Your calling out?" I heard a type writing going off in the back.

I blew smoke out through my nose and held it in my fingers.

"Yup" was all I said before hanging up and walking back into the apartment.

He was staring at the plate in front of him mugging it. Before I could say something I ran to the kitchen window.

I vomited last nights dinner and water.

I was wiping my mouth taking him deep breaths looking at the alley three stories down and clothes on a line.