I

The breeze was cool, and the night sky was dark and empty. Nothing but a few tiny specks of stars here and there. I was walking to the Salvage Market, hidden deep inside the abandoned train tunnels. The Salvage Market was the only place that had clean food. Anything from above ground was completely intoxicated, but many people didn't know.

A couple of years ago, our town Rendered Skies was attacked. A group of serial killers called the Anchors took whatever they wanted, whenever they pleased. They had been a myth for a while, until word went around that they had taken down big cities, and strong communities. Rendered Skies was located far from any city or civilization. It was a small but wealthy town. Everyone knew everyone, and there was no crime. Criminals were punished brutally, so nobody attempted to disopey the rules. It was the most peaceful and sunny day when everything changed. The Anchors had found our town, and wanted it for themselves.

The people in our town weren't weak. Most of us were strong hunters, and brave soldiers. We thought we could win the battle, but nothing prepared us for what the Anchors brought. They slaughtered whoever stood in their way, with whatever tool they could find, collecting stronger weapons as they went along. We outnumbered them, but they outsmarted us. It was a group of about ten big men, against a town of about 134-ish people. Men women, children, and elder. The Anchors took down all.

I was only twelve years of age when they arrived. I was helpless, and afraid. I lived with my friend's family. I had lost my parents a few days after i was born. I dont remember them. My brother tells me they went out of town to buy clothing at the city nearest to us. They had a beautiful boutique of vintage clothes. My parents didnt make it back, and no one knows what happened. My brother had become everything to me. He taught me how to take care of myself, so i matured as fast as i could, and became an adult, storing my childhood in a far corner of my heart. Though, when i was eight, my brother went out to hunt us a special dinner, and he disappeared as well. I once again was forced to learn more skills to manage through life. The day the Anchors arrived, I had grown up enough to live off myself, but not enough to survive them. I had gone out to the bookstore near my home, looking for a fresh set of books to bring to life.

I had only taken a few steps from the stores front, when an ear-numbing noise erupted across the street. I flinched backwards, and spun to the direction of the sound. On the other side of the street, was Ms. Dana, the school counselor. She was standing as still as a statue, as her daughter, and my friend, Lia, tugged at her arm yelling and crying. Before i blinked, she dropped to the ground like a ragdoll, not trying to stop her fall. I only starred as i realized the tall man with a strange mask standing in front of her, holding a gun. Lia knelt beside her mother, wheeping into her shoulder, as a pool of red thick liquid form around her.

I couldn't move. I heard the disaster happening around me, but i only stood frozen. Tears started stinging my eyes, as i looked up at the man with the mask. He was looking back at me. He lifted his long legs, stepping over Lia and her mother, making his way towards me. I thought of nothing else but run. I turned around, instantly running towards the bookstore. The man lifted his gun and created that terrible noise again, except this time, it was directed at me. I felt the bullets rush around me, the air hitting my skin forcefully. The windows shattered, and books fell over everywhere. I made my way upstairs to the storage area, and hid behind empty shelves. The man entered seconds afterwards, continuing to walk further into the room. I watched his back fade behind some boxes, and raced back downstairs.

I have to get back home, i need to find my friends. I cant make it on my own!!!

The tears finally broke out, soaking my cheeks entirely. I only ran. I ran out of the store, finding alot of black smoke puffs all around the street and sky. I got distracted and tripped, landing hard on somthing solid. I tumbled backwards. My head instantly started aching unbareably. I didnt realize i was being held by a pair of rough hands crushing me. My vision was blurry, and i only made up a silhouette of a guy with another mask, but he seemed to be smaller. Every bit of my being told me to run, but i could barely even breathe. The pair of hands softend their grip a little, and threw me over their shoulder.

I gave up. I couldnt move, or think, or see. I had lost all hope. After i saw Lia's mother on the street, dead, i knew i would encounter the same fate. Because i was alone, weak, helpless, and scared. I failed. My brother, and my town. I shut my eyes, and let a wave of darkness embrace me.

I gave up.