XI

I'm falling. Only darkness appears in my vision. It's freezing, and my skin is numb. I try yelling, but nothing comes out. The only noise is distant static. Then, everything flashes a bright electric blue and I'm knocked into unconsciousness once again.

***

I hear a few voices around me. I feel something warm on my right leg, but I can't move. I slowly flutter my eyes open to see Jaden sitting next to me on what seems to be a small bed. He's talking to Norval. Marquis, Pierce, and Bridger are in the front of my bed talking amongst themselves. The scariest part, is Cordell sitting in the corner staring directly into my soul with those two black holes that send goosebumps all over my body.

"Catherine." I hear Jaden's voice call my name.

I turn my head slowly and look up at him.

"Thank goodness your alright. You had me worried to death." He lifted his hand from my leg and brushed my cheek slightly, moving away some stray hairs from my face.

"I told you she would be fine." I heard a gravely voice to my left. Cordell lazily walked over to us. He looked like a skyscraper from where I was laying. I felt really small and weak beside him.

"Well she sure doesn't look fine. No offense." Norval spoke up, looking at me as if I was some kind if strange creature.

"This is normal in the process of her transformation. She just looks a little sick since she's human. The magic is strange to her body, and it naturally becomes ill. She will be fine, but we need to get her up. Resting will only make her feel even worse." Cordell grabbed my face with both of his hands. His cold touch made me flinch and tremble slightly. He examined my eyes carefully. I was becoming extremely uncomfortable, "she's weak, I can teach her how to withstand the pressure but I'm not sure if she will pay attention." He finally removed his hands. I let out a small sigh of relief.

"I'll go get her some food and water." Pierce said as he made his way out of the room.

"Alright, let's get you up." Cordell was about to grab my arm but I panicked and moved away.

I looked at Jaden with scared eyes. He chuckled a little, "Don't worry. He won't hurt you, he just wants to help."

I looked at Cordell again. He gave me a warm smile, a trusting one. It almost scared me at how easily he made his rough features soften. I relaxed a little and let him pick me up. He gently placed me on my feet, carefully setting my weight on them. When I tried taking a step, I couldn't keep my balance and almost fell forward. Cordell held my shoulders and kept me steady. I took a deep breath and tried again. It was difficult to move my legs, they felt numb. I was slowly making my way around the room, feeling like a little baby taking their first steps. Eventually I got more control over my legs. Cordell started to let go.

"No wait!" I lost balance again and turned around reaching towards him. I fell against Cordell's hard chest. He grabbed my arms and held me up again. I glanced towards Jaden, he looked a little mad but he wasn't looking at me, he was looking at Cordell.

Is he jealous? I thought.

Jaden eyes quickly flicked to mine. A small blush on his cheeks.

No. He's just.....not being careful....

I raised one eyebrow, not believing him. He frowned a little and looked away. I continued to walk around my room, Cordell would let go little by little until I could finally balance my own weight. I felt too accomplished for a small thing like that but damn it felt good to walk again. I gave myself a small inner 'Hooray!' for that.