Chapter Nine

After my match with Kakashi everything became a competition to him. He thought that he had to prove that he was better than me.

He had just finished gulping down his food, so he gave me a triumphant look.

I sighed and the others sweat dropped.

"Kakashi, give it a rest please."

"Give what a rest?" He narrowed his eyes.

"All this rushing about. You make it seem like we are still competing. It's getting tiresome."

"I don't have any idea what your talking about. I normally go around like this." He gave a closed eye smile and stood. "After all, I am Kakashi Hatake."

"Yeah, the same Kakashi Hatake that almost lost to a girl." I replied.

He blushed and the genin snorted into their food. Even Inari laughed.

"So when will we be heading back to the Leaf?" I asked

"Not yet. Not until we are sure that Zabuza is dead."

The atmosphere thickened.

"It's been almost a week. Do you really think he will attack again?" Sasuke asked

I looked at the table. "I'm sure of it. They don't call him a demon for nothing. He goes after his victims until they are dead and gone."

"So Zabuza will be coming back?" Sakura asked

"Yes. And with that boy as well. Haku. He lives to fight for Zabuza and he is highly trained. You can't let your guard down with him, no matter how young. Tazuna, are you going into town, or are you building the bridge today?"

"I'm going to be building the bridge. Why?"

I stood up. "I'll go with you. My gut tells me something bad is going to happen."

"Then i'm coming as well. Yeah Believe It!" Naruto stood up.

"No, Naruto. You have to stay here and train with Sakura and Sasuke."

"But-"

"No buts."

He sat back down. Sasuke gave me his puppy dog eyes.

"That's not going to work this time Otouto, not when your life is on the line."

He grumbled. "I never get to go anywhere."

I smiled "Not yet anyway. Maybe once you become a chunin. I'll see you guys later."

I walked out after Tazuna.

"Well?"

"Well what?"

"Still think that a girl can't be a Ninja?"

"Not after i saw you and Kakashi. That was amazing."

It was good to hear praise from the old geezer.

I froze. "Hold on. Something isn't right. It's too quiet."

It was. In our half hour walk we had heard nothing. Nothing at all. Something was very wrong.

"Stay near me. And shut up. Start to head to the bridge where it's open and i can see where whatever it is comes from."

I didn't need to say either. He was holding onto my sleeve like a child holds onto their mothers leg, and he didn't make a peep. He was basically trying not to run.