Chapter Five

/////Sam's POV\\\\\

We were on a boat, heading to Ember Island. Zuko was still in a bad mood, and everyone seemed to be keen on giving him space. Everyone except me. I was constantly bugging him, hoping he would talk to me, as he was the only one besides sort if Mai I was comfortable with.

"I'm so excited to spend the weekend on Ember Island," Ty Lee gushed. "It's gonna be great to hang out on the beach, and do nothing."

"Doing nothing is a waste of time," Zuko spat, standing up and startling me. "We're being sent away on a forced vacation. I feel like a child."

"Lighten up," Azula sighed. "So Dad wants to meet with his advisors alone, without anyone else around. Don't take it personally."

I watched as Zuko leaned over the rail of the boat, watching the waves rush by. I sighed, and laid down on the bench, closing my eyes.

"Doesn't your family have a house on Ember Island?" I heard Ty Lee ask.

"We used to come every summer when we were kids," Azula answered.

"Lucky," I sighed, turning my head.

Azula seemed surprised that I had spoken, but she quickly recovered.

"That was a long time ago," Zuko stated, still facing away.

I sighed, and the rest of the trip was silent.

/////\\\\\

When we arrived at the island, we were greeted by two old women. "Welcome to Ember Island, kids," they said in unison, and I shivered.

They reminded me of creepy girls that always ended up killing the protagonist or something.

Behind the two old women, was an old, worn down beach house. The others didn't seem impressed, but I thought it was cute, in a way. Lo and Li led us up the hill, and when we stepped inside, I was surprised at the home-y feel.

"It smells like old lady in here," Zuko whispered to me, and Mai and I rolled our eyes.

"Gee, I wonder why," she said sarcastically, and I laughed.

We continued looking throughout the house, and I studied all the antiques.

"We know that you are upset that you were forced to come here this weekend," one of them said - Lo, I think. "But Ember Island is a magical place."

"Keep an open mind."

"And give it a chance."

"And it can help you understand yourselves, and each other," they spoke unison.

One of them - Li? - picked up a rock, and held it in her hands. "The beach has a special way..."

"...Of smoothing even the most ragged edges."

Azula yawned, and crossed her arms.

Before any of us could respond further, the twins clapped their hands and took off their robes, leaving themselves in bathing suits. "Time to hit the beach!"

My eyes widened, and I felt someones hand smack into my face, covering my eyes.

When whoever it was deemed it safe, I was allowed to see again, and was immediatly blinded by red material.

"Go get dressed!" Ty Lee squeeled, pushing me towards a door, which was then slammed before I could protest.

With a sigh, I looked at the swim suit in my hands. It was a two piece, the top wrapping around my shoulders in a halter top fashion. It was rimmed in white, and had a skirt that reminded me a cheerleaders. When I was dressed, I stepped out, grumbling to myself.

Zuko was sitting on the floor, with a robe wrapped around him, and the other girls were already dressed. When they saw me, Ty Lee grinned, and started to bound out the door, forcing the rest of us to follow.

"I hate this," I mumbled, trying to tug my bottoms down.

Zuko opened his mouth to say something, but closed it, and shook his head.

I gave him a quizical look, which he ignored, and we stepped onto the beach.

Azula looked at everyone with distaste, and smirked at a couple of kids making a sand castle. Before I knew what she was doing, she stomped over, and kicked the castle to pieces, causing the kids to run away crying.

I rolled my eyes at her, and turned around only to see Zuko sitting a towel underneath an umbrella.

"You're too pale," I told him, smiling. "You should lay out in the sun." I took another towel from the bag, and placed it next to his in the sun.

"You'll burn," Mai stated, trudging over and sitting next to Zuko under the shade.

I shrugged, and laid down on my back, my hair sprawling out around my head. I could hear Mai and Zuko talking, but I ignored them, and closed my eyes. It felt nice to relax in the sun for bit, without all the palace servants hounding me all the time.

It suddenly became darker under my eyelids, and I snapped my eyes open to see a guy standing over me, smiling. He seemed tall, and had dark, shaggy hair. I glanced around, but saw that Zuko was nowhere in sight, Mai was studying her nails, Ty Lee was being pampered by some guys, and Azula was glaring at them.

"Um... hi?" I said, looking back up at the dude.

"Hi," he grinned. "I'm Masaru. And you are?"

"Busy," I told him, and closed my eyes again.

I felt the sand shift beside me, and cracked an eye open to see Masaru propped up on his elbow beside me. "That's a funny name," he smirked. "I don't think I've ever heard of one like that."

I raised an eyebrow. "I don't suppose you would."

"So, Busy, you busy tonight?" he asked, and I couldn't help but laugh.

"I'm actually-"

Zuko was suddenly beside me, his arm draped around my shoulder. He was glaring at Masaru, and the way his dark hair hung in his eyes almost made me scared. "She's taken," Zuko stated, and my eyes widened.

Masaru raised his hands in surrender, and stood back up. "I wouldn't let her out of my sight if I were you," he advised, before winking at me. "See ya around, Busy."

"What was that for?" I asked, turning to Zuko and trying to hide my blush.

"He was... you looked annoyed," he stammered, slowly removing his arm.

"Smooth," Mai sighed, barely sparing a glance at us.

Zuko glared, but before he could say anything, Azula stood up.

"Hey beach bums," she stated, "we're playing next."

I looked over to see her staring at an ongoing volleyball game.

"Ty Lee, get over here now!" Azula shouted, and the giddy girl stood up on her hands, and walked over like that, making her skirt fall, and revealing her red shorts underneath.

"Looks like uneven numbers," I sighed. "Oh well, guess I'll sit this one out." I started to walk away, but Azula's tight grip on my arm held me in place.

"They have another player too," she pointed out, and I pouted.

Out of the corner of my eye, I saw Zuko take off his robe, leaving his chest bare. There were girls ogling at him, and I glared.

Azula pulled us into a group huddle, and she kept glancing at the other team. "See the girl with the silly pigtails?" she asked. "When she runs toward the ball, there's just a slightest hesitation on her left foot. I'm willing to bet a childhood injury has weakened her. Keep serving the ball to her left, and we'll destroy her, and the rest of her team."

"You act like this is war," I stated, squinting.

She shot me a quick glare. "Dismissed."

We spread out, and Azula was serving first. With no warning, she threw the ball up in the air, and as it came back down, she jumped and kicked it over the net easily. It sailed past the other team, leaving them shocked.

We continued the game easily, setting and bumping the ball, always sending it hurtling towards the net.

"I got it!" I shouted, and jumped to meet the ball as it came close the net. With as much strength as I could muster, I slammed my palm against it, sending it back down, almost hitting pigtail girl in the face. I winced as she had to dodge out of the way, but grinned victoriously when we got our point.

I didn't notice just how much damage we caused until the net was nearly in flames, and Azula stood over the other team. "Yes! We've defeated you for all time. You will never rise from the ashes of your shame and humiliation." She turned to us, and smiled. "Well, that was fun."

I stood next to Ty Lee in shock, staring at the net with wide eyes.

Two guys walked over, both shirtless. One had all his hair in a small bun on the top of his head, and the other had a small bun as well, with the rest of his hair falling down in his face. The first smiled at Ty Lee. "I'm having a party tonight," he told her. "You should come by."

Ty Lee smiled. "Sure," she agreed.

"Your two friends can come too," the other guy said, smiling at Mai and I.

"Uh, what about me and my brother?" Azula asked, stepping up in front of us. "Aren't you going to invite us?"

The two guys looked at each other with raised eyebrows.

"You don't know who we are, do you?" Azula asked, surprised.

"Don't you know who we are?" the guy asked. "We're Chan and Ron-jon."

"Yeah," Ron-jon I assumed smiled.

Zuko marched up, looking peeved, and I took his arm, pulling him back.

"But fine, you're invited," Chan said, looking annoyed. "Just so you know, though, some of the most important teenagers in the Fire Nation are gonna be at this party, so try and act normal."

I snorted, quickly covered my mouth.

"We'll do our best," Azula promised, and marched away, leaving us to follow after her.