chapter 14

--- John’s POV---

I had just made it around the block when Selina popped out of nowhere.

“John.” She purred dangerously, so I just stood there looking indifferent.

“Selina.” I nodded my head and she was instantly in my face.

“Why were you in there talking to him?” she hissed.

“I was just having a very much needed…” I trailed off and groaned. I had gone in there with a plan and it totally disintegrated. “Crap.”

“What?” she was instantly worried.

“Don’t worry about it; it’ll only get you more upset.” I sighed and tried to brush her off, but to no avail.

“You will tell me right now.” She hissed while glaring at me, mere inches from my face.

“It was about when he worked with Hush.” I said lowly. She gave me a confused look so I continued. “They had some inside informants who left town when they realized the woman was with child.” I paused and she still didn’t catch on. “They were left alone for a few years until Ed and Hush needed them. Hush went to ‘retrieve’ them, but killed them instead. He was also supposed to take the girl.”

“No.” she whispered, her eyes wide. I just nodded with sad eyes. “How do you know?”

“Katrina told me that it was Hush that took her family.” I muttered and I saw her face go through a multitude of emotions. I had to grab her before she ran into the alley. “No, you can’t tell him.”

“And why the hell not?” she growled.

“Because, if he can’t figure it out on his own, why should we help him? He cares about her, he’ll find out soon enough.” I said trying to convince myself as well as the angered cat in my arms. “I’ll talk to him about it after Halloween.” I whispered and she relaxed.

“We’re going?” she asked hopefully and I nodded. She smiled and backed away. “Well then, Red and I need to do some shopping.” She said before going back down the street. I sighed and shook my head. I had been walking towards my home when a couple of police cars zoomed past me. I followed them with my eyes and saw a little shop on fire.

I smiled. Poor Katrina was going to land herself in Arkham for good.

--- Katrina’s POV---

Derik and I were minding our own business while eating ice cream when Joker’s men popped out of nowhere. My eyes had gotten wide and Derik pulled me along behind him down the street.

“You weren’t kidding.” He called back trying not to laugh. “You got anyone you trust enough to call?”

“I can handle this myself thank you.” I frowned back at him and jerked my arm out of his grasp. He looked at me like I was crazy when I turned around to face Joker’s goons. There were three of them.