Chapter 28

I felt the bed shake and sat up looking around, having to squint from the amount of sunlight pouring in the windows. I glared at my floor, the ceiling to the room the obnoxiously loud music was coming from. I stomped and could hear Chris laughing.

“It’s too early!” I yelled, throwing myself back on the pile of sheets. I had actually slept really well last night and managed to dream peacefully.

“It’s a cold and crazy world, that’s ragin’ outside. Well baby me and all my girls, are bringing on the fire. Show a little leg, gotta shimmy your chest. It’s a life. It’s a style. It’s a need. It’s Burlesque.” Christina’s amazing voice sang right before my house started to shake. Okay, he knew my weak spot. I fixed the neckline of my shirt as I ran down the stairs and into the kitchen.

“How did you know?” I smiled at him.

“I like this song.” He blushed.

“Are you gay?” I teased.

“Clearly.” He rolled his eyes, cracking the eggs and scrambling them. “Because Cathy is obviously of the same sex.”

“Hey,” I put up my hands. “I was just messing around.”

“Oh! You bad girl! With who?” he smirked as I threw flour in his face. “Oh, you want to start that now do you?” he chuckled as I backed out of the kitchen. I had my back to the front door and was easing my way up the stairs when he appeared from the doorway on my left. I screamed and ran up the rest of the way laughing. He had the bowl of eggs in his hand, trying not to get any on my carpet. I made it into my new room and shut the door, running into the huge stone bathroom; locking that door. I heard him opened the door to the room and I hid in the shower. Well, I got behind the floor to ceiling glass door.

“Come on out Katrina, I won’t hurt you.” He cooed. I couldn’t help but laugh as he started to jiggle the door handle. There was no way he was getting… was that a key I heard? He walked through the door and showed me a shiny skeleton key. “I love these things.”

“Not fair.” I smiled at his white face. The big glass bowl looked to be halfway full with cracked eggs.

“Eggs do wonders for one’s hair.” He said, showing it off against the glass door. “Let me show you.”

“Maybe later.” I smirked. “I’m not interested.”

“You know this shower door won’t lock right? And I am stronger than you.” He smiled triumphantly at me. I immediately grabbed for the handle. There wasn’t one on the inside. My eyes got wide as he opened the door and stepped in. I backed against the wall with the handles, a sudden thought popping into my head. When he got close enough I turned both knobs and dashed out; getting the tiniest bit wet. I laughed after he stepped out, soaking wet with an empty bowl. I fell on the ground laughing.

“I…. Win!” I managed to get out.

“You are evil.” He muttered, walking out of my room and heading down stairs. Probably to take a shower and all that jazz.

“But you love me!” I yelled down to him.

“Ya, ya. What ever.” He called back. I closed my doors and looked through my new closet; aka the parent’s old one. There were actually clothes there that I would wear. Bruce just thought of everything didn’t he? The music changed to softer chords and I couldn’t believe I was hearing this song yet again.

“Hearts beat fast. Colors and promises. How to be brave. How can I love when I’m afraid, to fall?” Christina Perri kept singing but I had to make myself stop listening. There was no use in thinking about them. They were happily ruining the Batman’s life in Gotham while I was here. I doubt they even noticed my absence. Edward was always so busy and John was most likely with Luna. I shook my head and focused on what I was going to wear today. Sure it was cold, but it was so much warmer here than Gotham that I settled on some ripped jeans and a plain black long sleeved shirt that wrapped around my shoulders instead of having a regular neckline. I was feeling brave and walked over to my mom’s old dresser, opening different drawers; gaping at the jewelry and accessories I found. The one that truly caught my eye scared me. I pulled out a gorgeous black, velvet choker. On it were three different colored heart shaped locks; a silver one, a golden one, and an amber one. My hand trembled as I put it on the smooth wooden surface as I dug in my bag, locating my own chain with the matching keys.