OIE III

"I am going to miss you so much Vernonia!" I said as I pulled her in a bone-crushing hug.

She was taken aback by my sudden embrace and returned my hug.

"Hey, don't be. I'm sure we'll be seeing each other soon enough."

"What do you mean?" I arched an eyebrow. I took a step back to have a better look at her.

She took her purse out and I, instantly rejected her offer.

"No, don't give me any cash. I enjoy being your friend here." I gestured her to stop.

"You've mistaken here dear." She smiled. Her eyes glimmered with a tint of humour. "Here's my business card for to look at my address."

My frown got deeper as I was really confused. Looking at my expression, she laughed.

"Honey, you look so much more beautiful with a smile on your face. I want you to come over tonight. There's a family dinner and I'd love to have you there."

She sounded so happy and genuine that you can look at it the sincerity in her big, brown eyes.

"Family?" My eyes seemed to get watery at the sound of that.

"Oh, Adoni. You're not just a friend to me. You hold a special place in my heart. You're a daughter to me."

I hugged her as tightly as I could. "Thank you so much Vernonia." I muttered.

"I know you, Adoni." I hummed, agreeing to whatever she was saying because at that moment, I didn't care about anything.

"You're one of the Matthias."

I heard her saying. It was like someone punched me in the face out of nowhere. To say I was surprised was an understatement, I was bewildered. My jaw fell to the ground.

I couldn't get my defense up because everything was visible in my face. I was one of the Matthias. The fact that I had been locking away from reality all this while have found its way out.

"I don't know what happened between you and your family but just remember, you have one here. Alright?"

"Okay."

Seeing Vernonia left with her luggage was a bittersweet moment. I was happy for her but I felt extremely sad for myself.

As I was looking through the records of all the patients here, in the Filing Room, I decided to have a look at everyone whom I might provide assistance for. Someone called me from the intercom.

"Adoni, we need you back here in the East Wing. You have to make some delivery."

Clicking the button, I answered. "Alright. I'll be there in a minute."

I shut the drawer and walked over there.

The Food-and-beverages department is located in the East Wing which includes the dining area and also, the kitchen. The are was deserted since it was not even lunchtime yet. Having someone to order meal this early was strange somehow.

"Please send this over to Room 11, Level 2."

"Alright." I held the tray of steak in my hand. God, it smelt scrumptious.

I knocked on the door as soon as I got there. I looked at the floor and saw the same floor I'd crouched on a few days ago.

"Oh God, not-" I muttered in a whisper.

"Well." The door was opened and I was greeted by the same shirtless man. This guy liked going without a shirt." I was expecting you here."

"Good." I finished. "No. Not good. Here's your food. Where should I keep it?"