OIE VI

Morning passed by pretty quickly and it already was afternoon. I watched the buildings and trees as they went out my sight in a fluid motion as I gazed out of the bus's window.

As you can tell, I was on my way to work. I had enjoyed working there until Vernonia left and the prick came bugging me. It was no longer a joyous mean for me to make ends meet anymore.

I was pulled out of my reverie as the bus came to a stop at a bus stop quarter a mile away from the rehab.

"Thanks, Mr. Brown," I waved at him after hopping down the gigantic bus.

The door closed after he muttered a welcome. I began my journey walking with music blasting out from the earbud I had on.

I sighed in relief as soon as I reached my destination. I rushed into the entrance and checked in at the front desk.

"You are so on time young lady," Margaret spoke.

I looked at my watch. It was exactly two o'clock in the afternoon, just on time.

I smiled at her, a guilty one. "Well, school ended pretty late just now."

"Since Vernonia is not around anymore the admistrator have not assigned you to someone yet-", she took a clipboard from the desk, handing it to me. "You'll be helping out at the front desk. Alright?"

"I am absolutely okay with it," I replied, flashing her a grin.

She left my sight as I headed towards the changing room. It was not like I had never been at the front desk but the workload involved too much boredom that I could barely contain.

As far as I was concerned, all I had to be aware of was the computer. Every single matter that was related to the rehabilitees was system-based. For instance, their medicine prescription, psychiatrist appointment and daily medical reports.

Unfortunately, what I was incharged of was something petty. Basically, their needs. Since I was only the pup here, nothing much of importances were handed over to me.

Whatever, I thought.

Silence bestowed upon the hallway. Rays of sunlight made their way through the sheer blind, creating an atmosphere with comfort and warmth.

Suddenly, my phone rang and I picked it up without looking at the caller ID.

"Hey. It's Adoni here."

"Adoni, are you busy this evening?", he inquired. The audible thumping noise indicated that he was running.

"I don't think so, Adrian. There are still a lot of things I have to catch up with. Assignments, homework, work," I mumbled incoherently while shuffling the paperwork I was on.

" Wait, you are working?" He sounded surprised.

My face paled. I couldn't believe I actually said I was working. I must had been to engrossed in what I was doing to accidentally said that.

"No! Of course not. I was working on some house chores. Yeah, that was exactly what I meant," sounding as convincing as I could.

Well, I hope he bought that. No one could know I was working here, in the rehab.

"My baby sister was hoping to see you for dinner actually. Not forgetting, I was hoping as well," I could imagine him smirking already.

Warmth encircled my heart at the sound of that. That little girl must had taken liking in me, I complimented myself.

"Tell her, I would make up to her as soon as possible!"

There was a silent end.

"Hello?" I said.