Chapter 2: Meetings {Basil}

"I've got to go now, Zipporah." I sigh, slipping on my shoes and grabbing my briefcase. She nods.

"Of course." I straighten and gaze at her.

"Are you sure you'll be fine alone?"

"I'll be fine, Basil. I promise," She reassures, "I'll be going to spend time with Mom and Felicie later, so it won't be very long."

"Alright," I embrace her, "Tschüss, Edelweiss!" We kiss.

"Tschau, Edelweiss!" I kiss her cheeks and reluctantly walk outside to Grandfather and the waiting limo. Zipporah waves from the porch as we pull out of the drive court. I wave back, and once she's out of sight I sigh.

"Separation issues, Basil?"

"Vielleicht.. [Perhaps..]"  I admit. He shakes my shoulder with a firm hand.

"I had the same thing when Floretta and I were newlyweds. Even when we'd been married for decades, I still felt upset to leave her in the mornings for work. But it made the homecomings more sweet. I had something to look forward to, and that helped me during the rough times." He explains. I smile.

"I'll remember that. Danke."

"Bitte. Now, you need to focus. We're meeting with representatives from the Achterkamp Company. We should start negotiating a deal where we would have access to more mines, in exchange for a cut of the profits going to Achterkamp."

"Achterkamp?" I blanche.

"Ja. Achterkamp, owned by Heiko Achterkamp." Why does that name sound familiar?

"I see. So, today we're meeting for preliminary negotiations?"

"Ja. Very good, Basil. You're catching on quite well." I smile a little but I can't seem to place the name.

We pull into HQ and make our way to the conference suite. Along the way we review notes and strategy to win Achterkamp over. I take my seat along the expansive ovular table and compose myself, opening my briefcase to the pleasant sight of a picture of Zipporah and me. I smile and remember Grandfather's words, recalling Zipporah's smile, before putting it away.

Right on time, the representatives arrive. Grandfather and I stand and greet them appropriately. Most of them are his age, but the last, I find, is my age. It hits me, "Gernot Achterkamp?.."

We pause mid-handshake and lock eyes. Memories rush back. His laughing gray eyes glint happily, and he chuckles, "Basil Kaiser."

We were extremely close friends once. One of a slew of rascals who had nothing but time in their youth. We lost contact after he moved to Switzerland when we were fifteen. Gernot and I finish the handshake, "Wilkommen, mein Freund. [Welcome, my friend.]"

"Danke, danke." He answers with a soft laugh.

"I will speak with you later."

"Natürlich." We take our seats and the meeting commences.

It goes surprisingly well and at lunch break, Gernot and I spend it catching up.

"The word is you're newlywedded, Basil." He jokes. I nod proudly.

"Ja. Just about a month now." I profess. He laughs.

"I've been married for three years."

"Ah? Do tell."

"Odilie is the most lovely woman on Earth. And she's deeply impassioned." Something is triggered inside as he speaks. I stand straight.

"I believe the same about Zipporah." I respond.

"I can't believe you married a redhead."

"I did. She is my match and my heart belongs to her alone." He smiles.

"Shall we have a contest or will we keep peace?" I contemplate.

"Peace." We continue catching up. Apparently Odilie is carrying their second daughter, and Gernot like me is being groomed to take over the business. We talk until the meeting resumes, and once that's done I instinctively rush to hurry home to Zipporah. Gernot slips me his business card before I can slip out. With a smile he taps it into my breastpocket.

"We'll need to get together soon, Freund."

"Ja. That would be fun. I've got to get back home now, though."

"Of course. Auf Wiedersehen, Basil."

"Auf Wiedersehen." We shake hands and I hightail it down to the limo. Once inside I call Zipporah.

"Hallo, Basil." She answers. I smile.

"Hallo, Zipporah. I'm on the way home."

"Wunderbar! [Wonderful!] I've got dinner cooking. It should be ready when you get back."

"I can't wait..," I lean my head back, "I missed you today, Zipporah."

"Ja. It was more than a little weird to not have you around. I'd really been used to having you with me 24/7."  She agrees.

"I'll see you soon, Edelweiss..."

"Ja. Hurry home, Bass."

"Natürlich. Tschau!"

"Tschüss." We hang up and I smile giddily all the way back. Zipporah is waiting at the door clad in an apron, beaming. I bolt out of the limo and we embrace tightly. She pulls me down by my necktie and into a long hot kiss. I savor the moment, dropping my briefcase at our feet and picking her up.

"Welcome home, Basil." I press a kiss to the bridge of her nose.

"I'm home." We walk inside and I go up to change out of my suit, stowing Gernot's card in my wallet. When I come down dinner is on the table and Zipporah has shed the apron. Tonight is Schnitzel and Potatoes.

"Shall we?" She inquires. I nod eagerly and pull out her chair.

"Natürlich."

Please vote and comment! Thanks for reading!

~Uilosris