Chapter 5: News {Basil}

"I shall see you in six months, Basil." Doctor Dieter dismisses me and I slip out of his office, the checkup finished. I walk to the waiting room, expecting to find Zipporah, but she isn't there.

"Where is she?" I murmur.

"Your highness?" A nurse inquires.

"Yes?"

"Princess Zipporah sent for you. She would like for you to come to Doctor Forst's office. The appointment is running long."

"I see. Danke."

"Bitte." I walk to Doctor Forst's office and knock. 

"Come in, Prince Basil," I push open the door and enter to a mildly confusing vision. Zipporah is laid back on the examination table, covered with a blanket and holding a cold compress to her head, "Your highness-" 

"What happened?" I exclaim. Doctor Forst raises her hands in surrender. 

"She had a fainting spell earlier and hit her head before I could catch her." 

"Are you alright?" I query as I hurry to Zipporah. She smiles nervously, continuing to press the ice pack to her head. I place my hands atop hers.

"A little sore. Otherwise I'm fine and healthy."

"What a relief," I exhale and kiss the bridge of her nose, "Are you ready to head home, Zipporah?"

"Yes, Basil." She answers sweetly. I respond with a gentle smile and help her sit up. During this I notice something off, enough for me to worry about my wife's well-being.

"Are you sure you're fine?" I inquire, holding her steady with my hands secure on her waist. She nods, shrugging it off with a strangely unconvincing smile.

"I'm fine," She answers coolly and pats my shoulders reassuringingly, "Let's go home, alright?" Still not comfortable I look at the doctor. She nods.

"She is fine, Prince Basil. No trauma was sustained, but she does need to eat a real meal." I purse my lips and lift Zipporah off of the table, kissing her tenderly. There's definitely something up with Zipporah, it's painfully evident. But I decide to question her later.

"Then we shall be going. Dankeschön, Doctor Forst."

"Bitteschön, Prince Basil," I slip my arm around Zipporah and start to leave, "I shall see you soon, Princess."

"Yes. Auf Wiedersehen!" This cements my worry and I end up nearly dragging Zipporah back to the car in my sudden anxiety. We're both silent for the first few minutes of the drive, until I click on the radio, "So, how was your appointment?"

"It was fine. I'm perfectly healthy, as the doctor said. Doctor Dieter's a funny one though. Always able to heckle in the gentlest ways." I recall his subtle joking about the future, and especially how I'd likely have a sizable family years down the road with my charm.

"That's wonderful to hear. Doctor Forst said I should probably have blood work done with more supervision. That's why I collapsed, it seems. Other than that she said I was a picture of health."

"Then why did you mention that you were going back soon?" My hands clamp down on the wheel as we pull into our drive court and into the garage, "There's something you're not telling me. I'm worried."

"It's to discuss the results of the blood work we did today and future caregivers." I turn off the ignition and look analytically at Zipporah. I'm still not convinced.

"Zipporah, what's going on? You're off. It's worrying me. You're making me very concerned."

"Could we first go inside? I promise I'll explain." Satisfied I nod, getting out and walking to her door. Zipporah wraps around my arm and we head inside in silence. As I'm locking the door she heads into the living room, digging in her purse. I follow her to the couch and sit down next to her.

"Please tell me now." I beg. She nods and pulls out an envelope from her purse, handing it to me.

"Basil, I know we weren't planning this, but we've got about eight to nine months before we'll be a threesome." My hands move for me and open the envelope. Inside are a few sonograms marked with circles and arrows.

Also captioned boldly; "Baby Kaiser..."

"I'm pregnant, Basil. I'm not very far along, a little over a month," She explains warmly. I sink back against the couch for a moment, staring at the pictures of our child, "I didn't expect to get pregnant so quickly..."

"Our baby." I sigh, tears pricking my eyes.

"Hey are you okay?" She inquires. I nod.

"Ja. Ja. I'm fine." I set the envelope on the table and embrace Zipporah.

"Are you happy?" The note of anxiety in her voice hurts. I pull back and nod, smiling proudly at her.

"Yes! I'm ecstatic!" I proclaim. She giggles as I pull her onto my lap.

"I'm sorry I worried you, I wanted to tell you in private. Doctor Forst is going to arrange for the prenatal care team to meet me the next visit."

"Is it still too early to know the gender?"

"Yes, but I'm certain it'll be a boy."

"Really?"

"Ja!" I grin and kiss her neck.

"Then I won't argue. You are usually right."

"We've still got a while before we know."

"I'll be happy with either." We lean in and touch foreheads.

"Same, Edelweiss."

Please comment and vote below! Thanks!

~Uilosris