Chapter 21: Memory Train

"Icy, how's college going?" He shrugs his shoulders.

"My roommates are awesome. Classes aren't too bad. I just want to get on with becoming a scientist."

"You've always been our bug-loving scientist." I tease. He cracks a grin and mom puts her arm around my shoulders.

"He's home for while yet. Let's go inside."

"I can help carry my things in," I attempt to float the concept by, only to be shot down. Benedikta blocks me, "At least my backpack."

"Let her help," Mom sighs. I mouth thanks and grab my backpack from Rosine. Mom chuckles and we walk inside, "We spruced up the bedroom for you and Basil. I hope it's to your liking."

"I'm sure of that." I step in and grin. Pictures of me and Basil cover the creme colored walls. I take a closer look and discover that they're arranged in order, and that they have shots of me and Basil growing up. I follow the train of memories up to a baby pink and blue frame. The sonograms which we've sent them are arranged in a collage.

"Like it?" Mom inquires. I nod and hug her.

"Yes, it's amazing, Mom! I love it!" I peck her cheeks, "How did you get ahold of the pictures of Basil, though?"

"We asked for him to select his favorite memories and send them over. I wanted you to have a memory lane of your own."

"It's wonderful, Mom."

Isaac and Rosine deposit my luggage outside the door and I roll it in before sitting down on the bed. Mom joins me and pats my leg,"So, how is the pregnancy going?"

"It's going smoothly. We had that scare a few weeks ago, but nothing else has popped up." She exhales.

"I hope it keeps going smoothly for you and Basil," She reaches around and kisses the top of my head, "I'm happy to have you here, honey."

"I'm happy because I'll have you to help me."

"Of course." We embrace.

"Hey, come join us out in the loving room." He calls with a grin. I smile.

"I just got here. I'll be here for a while." He gives me his best puppy eyes and we chuckle.

"Alright." Mom gives in and we follow him to the living room. Isaac and I plop down on the loveseat.

"How has being married to Basil been? Besides... being... pregnant." He asks timidly.

"Like a dream, with a few unexpected twists and turns. Sometimes a nightmare but never on our account."

"Because of whomever is causing trouble?"

"Yes. But Basil has been my support and I love him for how thoughtful and sweet he is."

Mom playfully remarks, "And obviously a charmer. I remember you saying that you'd wait." I blush.

"We weren't planning on having a child so soon! It just... happened!"

"I'm just teasing you, Zipporah." I shake my head and sigh as my good natured family laughs. My hands rest softly over my abdomen as the baby shifts. I smile warmly, grabbing the attention of my brother.

"What is it, Zipporah?"

"Give me your hand and I'll show you," He tentatively places it in mine and I move it to where the baby is moving, "That's your little niece or nephew in there."

~Uilosris