Chapter 34: Mistake {Basil}

Why would Zipporah say those things?

Why did she say them?

Am I not devout enough?

Have I been doing something wrong?

What if something does happen. What do I do?

Am I wrong to want to love, protect, support and spoil her?

Am I wrong to be concerned and worry?

What have I done?

Questions ravage my mind as I cry myself dry. But the cry calms me down, and after a long while I get up. I need to apologize and make up with Zipporah. I shouldn't have acted like that. I read too much into it. I hurt her in her fragile state.

I dress and emerge from the bedroom, ashamed and guilty. I know that whatever response I get when I find Zipporah, Mama and Papa, it won't be good. But I deserve it. I just hope and pray that the media doesn't catch wind of this.

I hear voices and crying from the dining room, so I walk in. I find Mama with her head in her hands, crying, as Papa is comforting her. I don't see Zipporah, "Um..." I wince under the hot, convicting expression I get from Papa.

"Basil. Is there something you would like to tell us?" He says with clenched teeth.

"Where is Zipporah?" I ask. Papa growls and holds up Zipporah's phone. He strides around the table and forces it into my hand.

"You have some explaining to do. Meanwhile, Zipporah is gone and nobody knows where she is! She took the Yukon and disappeared. What happened between the two of you?" I grip Zipporah's phone as my bones and blood breeze.

"She left?! How?"

"I wasn't able to stop her. I know she feels responsible and is hurting as bad as you are." Mama explains.

"Why would she run off though? And leave her phone? She could-"

"She wanted escape. She needed to breathe," Papa inputs, "This isn't the first time she's disappeared. It's her response to fighting, when she's scared."

"I scared her! I shouldn't have acted up about it. She isn't in the wrong. I know why she said those things."

Mama tsks, "She wouldn't have run off if she was innocent. I think you're both to blame. But, as far as I know, this was your first big fight and misunderstanding. It's scary."

"I could have handled it better!" I hiss.

"Agreed. You could have. But now you have to face the consequences and make up." Papa says, warmly but sharply.

"I'm sorry for acting that way towards  your daughter. I lashed out on her. I should have listened and been more calm." Papa squares his shoulders and hits his fist on the top of my head,    lightly enough for me to know that it wasn't mean or condemning.

"It was your first time so I understand, but don't make this mistake again. If you let her go again without making up or trying to pacify the situation, that's it." I nod, acknowledging his seriousness.

"Yes, sir." He nods then returns to his seat beside Mama.

"I need to find Zipporah quickly. I don't want her to get hurt."

"We've notified everyone we can think of, including your family. We called the clinic too. Benedikta and Rosine are out searching for the Yukon."

"Have you called the police?"

"No! Not yet. Normally she reappears after a few hours. Besides, getting the police involved will attract attention and increase her panic. We have to search on our own. We have set up a monitory system to watch for use of her check card or passport, and are trying to track the Yukon."

I nod, continuing to hold Zipporah's phone, "I need to go. I need to find her now."

Mama and Papa exchange glances, "Alright then. Let's go." She agrees.

"I will stay here in case she comes home, which she hopefully will."

I grab my stuff and head out with Mama to look for Zipporah. I rack my brain for anything helpful. I can't concentrate because of the worries and one particular question beginning to eat me alive.

What if I can't find her?

~Uilosris