Chapter 8: May Package {David}

"David, come in here! Zipporah sent us a package!" Misty chortles from the dining room. I grunt and make my way from Zipporah's bedroom, where I've been remodeling to turn into hers and Basil's room when they visit, with a smile. Misty has the box set on the table for us. She hands me the box opener and I eagerly shear off the tape.

"What could she have sent us?"

"Look! The sausages and bacon we loved from Eldstein!" She giggles and removes a few packs of sausage and bacon. I dig in with her and we discover many other treats and goodies. At last we reach the bottom. Misty goes to toss the box, but we hear clinking.

"What in the world? Misty, set it down again."

"Of course." I reach in again and lift the piece of thin cardboard, revealing a small white paper box. Misty picks it up and puts it on the table.

"Now I'm curious."

I take the top off and find a card on top of a set of breathtaking dishes and utensils. Misty takes the card.

"Dearest Mom and Dad, this is a set of tableware we thought would make a wonderful addition to the collection. It's all handpainted and we thought of you when we saw it. Every piece is unique. Warmest hugs and kisses, Zipporah." She recites. I begin lifting off dishes one at a time. Indeed each piece is different, every plate with a respective name and nickname etched on and filled in with ink of our favorite color.

"Wait a second... Misty, look." There's only five of us, Basil included. There are six sets of tableware...

"David! Oh, David!!" She grabs the plate and turns it over.

'Zipporah+Basil= Baby Kaiser #1, Name TBA, ETA November' . Is written on a sticker placed on the back. Misty shrieks with laughter.

"My little girl... my daughter..." I gulp, staring at the label.

"Zipporah's pregnant! We're going to be grandparents! I'm going to be a grandmother! You're going to be a grandfather!" She rambles excitedly.

I dip back into the box, expecting a belated April fool's joke. Instead I find multiple sonograms and another note on pink and blue cardstock.

Can't wait to meet you, Mama Misty and Papa David! -Baby Kaiser

Tears stream down my cheeks as I thumb through the black and white pictures. I'm going to be a grandpa. Sooner than I thought, or hoped.

~Uilosris