Chapter Fifty-Three

(Riley's POV)

"Hey, Luca! How are you?" I asked as I walked up to him. School wasn't canceled today since it warmed up a bit to melt some of the snow. 

"F-Fine, h-how are y-you?" he asked. 

"I'm great!" I lied and smiled. My mom and dad continued to fight until mom finally went to stay at her sister's. 

"A-Are y-y-you sure? What a-about y-y-your parents?" he asked. 

"Who cares about my parents? Let's just get to class," I said with a bright smile. I started to walk but Luca grabbed my hand and stopped me. 

"R-Riley, stop. I-I c-c-can see y-you're hurt-ting. S-Stop lying t-t-to me. T-Tell me th-the truth." I bit my lip and looked away. 

"I can't," I said and he looked at me confused. "Luca, don't worry about me. Worry about getting better."

"W-We've been th-through this. I-I need you t-t-to d-do that. Y-You have to b-be o-okay, too," he said. 

"I'm fine."

"F-Fine, y-y-you don't w-w-want to t-talk, th-then I'll s-stop, too," he said and started walking down the hallway. I ran to catch up with him and sighed. 

"Look, I'm sorry. I just don't think you should worry about me. My problems are nothing compared to yours." Luca stopped walking and turned to me. 

"D-Don't e-ever comp-pare your p-p-problems. Y-You're i-import-tant," he said sternly. 

"You're right," I finally said. "I shouldn't be hypocritical."

"Th-Then tell m-m-me what h-happened," he said. 

"My parents are getting worse and worse. I can't even sleep at night because they're screaming at each other."

"R-Riley, do y-y-you want to s-stay with m-me? I-I d-don't kn-know how else t-to help," Luca said. 

"I don't want to be a bother. . . ." I said and Luca smacked my arm. 

"Y-You're fine. S-Stay w-w-with me."

"Will Storm let me?" I asked.

"I-I'll text h-h-him lat-ter," Luca said and I nodded. 

"Thank you. This means a lot," I said and he smiled. I hugged Luca before taking his hand and start walking to our class. 

(Luca's POV)

After math class, I walked to science and sat down in my seat. I got out my phone and sent Storm a quick text asking if Riley could stay with us. I put my phone away and the bell rang. Mrs. Parks started her lesson on astronomy.

"Hey, Luca!" someone called, as I walked out of gym and down the hall. I stopped and turned around to see a boy with short blond hair, pale skin, and a blue hoodie on running up to me. 

"Y-Yes?" I asked. He smiled at me and bit his lip while looking me up and down. 

"My names Adam. I was wondering if you could show me where the lunch room is? I'm new."

"H-How did y-y-you kn-know my n-name?" I asked. 

"I asked this kid. So, want to show me?" he asked. 

"S-Sure." I started walking towards the lunch room and he kept on talking. 

"I have to be honest, I think you're really cute." I froze and glanced at him. 

"I-I-I-"  I didn't know what to say. I felt my cheeks heat up in a blush and he chuckled. 

"Hey, maybe we should skip lunch and get to know each other," Adam said.