Chapter 1

Chapter 1

The Runaway

                It was morning. The smell of dew filled the air and the sound of birds chirping in distant trees welcomed the new day. She opened her eyes, taking in her surroundings, trying to remember the previous day’s events. The blue tarp she was wrapped around her didn’t help her much, so she uncovered herself.

                “Aw, man!” she exclaimed as a gush of water fell on her, wetting her black dress, soaking through to her pale white skin, “that’s right,” she remembered, “it rained last night.” She let out a sigh. “I better find this place today, this is the only pair of clothes I have!”

                She shuffled out of the tarp slowly, in fear of being wet more, and sat on the end of the park bench in which she slept. “Ugh, what a night… why can’t wood be soft?” she asked herself.

                She reached under the bench for her bag, pulled out a mirror and begun fixing her long blood red hair, parting it to the left as she usually did. Luckily, there were only a few tangles. She tried to leave quickly and quietly the other night, so she only packed a few essentials.

                She began to check the stitches on her arms, legs and body; hoping that none had fallen out during her rough sleep last night. She looked back into the mirror, making sure she had a clean face; the one place where stiches weren’t imagined on her. If the two on her cheeks, and the one on her forehead weren‘t counted.

                When she figured she looked decent enough, she got off the bench and began to shake out her tarp so she could pack it away.

                “Hi!” said a sudden friendly voice. She looked behind her to find a very large pair of shoes with very long socks, however, there was more to the figure than that. She looked up trying to find a face. “I’m Wilt. Are you lost?” he said with a smile. He stood there waiting for a reply. He looked very friendly, so he probably wasn’t of any threat. He was tall and red, with a big blue ‘1’ on his torso, and a stubby left arm. Also he had a broad face with three evenly sized nubs on each side; two of which were scared. His eyes protruded from the top of his head, however, the one on the left was bent and broken, rattling whenever he moved his head. He wore only socks, shoes, and a wristband on his right arm.

                “Hi.” she replied sheepishly almost blushing. “Yeah, I am kinda lost actually. I was looking for this place, where they give imaginary friends a home… Foster’s something…” she began to trail off.

                “Foster’s home for imaginary friends?”

                “Yeah! That’s it!” she said excitedly. Maybe she would finally be able to find this place.

                “Well, you’re in luck!” he said with a chuckle, “I happen to live there.”

                “Will you take me there?” she asked, still excited.

                “Of course! As soon as I find Frankie and Madame Foster.”

                “Who are they?” ask asked, looking puzzled.

                “Well Madame Foster is the founder of Foster’s home for imaginary friends- but you’ll learn more about her, and how Foster’s started when we give you the tour.”

                “Neat! I get a tour!” she said regaining her excitement from before.

                Wilt laughed. He seemed pleased by her excitement. “And Frankie is her granddaughter; she helps out around the house”.