Chapter 2

Chapter 2

Welcome to Foster’s

                Madame Foster and Frankie climbed onto the bus, followed by Wilt. Feeling unsure, Fanta stood at the bus door.

                “Come on, Fanta. Hop in.” Frankie said cheerfully from the driver’s seat. Fanta smiled back sheepishly and climbed onto the bus. She chose a seat across the isle from Wilt. Frankie then started up the bus and began to take off. Fanta looked out the window and began watching the houses and people go by. She would have to get to know her way around the neighbourhood soon, because she will be here for a while; or so she assumed anyhow.

                She relaxed on the soft bus seat and listened as the bus change gears. She could hear Wilt telling Frankie and Madame Foster the story she told him, but she wasn’t really listening to what he was saying. Her mind was too busy wondering what Foster’s would be like; and whether or not she would see Wilt around or not. Wilt. She thought about this for a second. About his comforting smile; and to her amazement, she began to blush. What was this odd feeling she got whenever she saw him smile? It was similar to the feeling she used to get when she was with Sarah, but not quite the same. More intense perhaps? She was not sure. What puzzled her more is that she had only just met him; she did not know anything about him. So why would she have this strange emotion. She tore her gaze away from the houses passing by and watched Wilt’s facial expressions as she told her story. That feeling again. Like a tickle in her chest and the odd urge to just stare. It made her want to smile. She thought for a moment; and then it hit her. Embarrassed, she turned to the window hoping no one outside could see her blushing cheeks; the result of her realisation. It’s a crush. She has a crush on Wilt. It all felt so familiar now. Her last crush was when she was around two, so the recognition of this emotion had been lost with time; but now rediscovered. From what she could remember, her last crush didn’t go so well; so she made a decision. It is absolutely essential that Wilt does not find out.

                “We’re here!” chimed Frankie. The bus doors opened and Madame Foster was the first to step out, followed by Frankie, then Wilt. Fanta stood up, walked down the isle, and cautiously went down the steps. She stepped out of the bus and looked around.

                “Welcome home!” said Wilt with a smile. In front of them was a giant, black gate with the word ‘FOSTER’S’ written across the top. Past the gate was a long path that led to a tall, multiple storey house with a large tree beside it. Fanta had never seen a place so big. She stood in awe and then followed the trio indoors.

                The house on the inside appeared just as big as it did outside. Fanta once again stood in awe and wondered who on earth would need a ceiling that high up. Of course, then she remembered Wilt.

                “So you like?” asked Frankie, anticipating a positive response.

                Fanta paused for a moment. “It reminds me of, like, when you see those really small cars, and you think that when you get in them it’s gonna be all small and cramped; but then when you actually do get in it’s, really roomy and spacious. So, this reminds me of that, but if the car was the size of this house.” Everyone paused at Fanta’s response.

                “Uh. okay…” agreed Wilt with a tone of uncertainty.

                She then turned to Frankie and smiled. “I like.”

                “Good!” she replied with a smile and an upbeat tone. “Would you like a tour?”

                Fanta looked up the stairs that stood before her. “I would love a tour.” she said with a light smile.