I ran out into the rain on my 8th birthday. The tears blending into the rain. Daddy refused to show up to my birthday party if mommy was there. I don't understand why they aren't together anymore. It makes me so sad. The only noise was the rain hitting the ground. I tried to sing happy songs in my head but it wouldn't cheer me up. Then I heard the faint beating of my favorite song in the rain. I hummed along. Soon I was up off the ground and dancing in the rain. I jumped in puddles and sang out loud." Borrow mine so yours can open too. I'm stand by you! Even if we can't find heaven!" I jumped and laughed made up my own beats. Sang any song I thought of! My mom and dad joined me a few minutes later. Dad looked uncomfortable but mom was smiling at me. I smiled at them both and grabbed one of each of their hands and dragged them in to the rain. We jumped and sang all together. At the end of it all daddy asked mommy for forgiveness and if they could try again. Mommy took a minute to answer but she said yes!!! Best birthday I had.
----------------------------------------------
~17 years later ~
I ran out of the apartment crying. He broke my heart and I will never be the same. It was raining. My tears hidden in the rain, my sobs lost in the rhythmic sound of the rain. Then just like my 8th birthday I could just hear the sound of a drum. I hummed and stood up. I started for my own apartment. On the way there I started to stomp and kick the puddles. I sang out loud any thing that came to mind. My spirits instantly rose. I felt like that little girl again in a pretty dress and stomping in the rain singing and just letting go off everything!
----------------------------------------------
The rain brought me peace that I can never replace. That is why I am on my death bed and happy. Because it is raining out side and I hum along with it. I close my eyes for the final time and sing out thank you with my dying breath.