Chapter Nineteen

Millicent made her way to the breakfast room the next day, hoping for a peaceful morning. One without troubles of past lovers or disappointed fathers. As soon as she stepped off of the last step of the long, winding staircase, Millicent knew it would not be that kind of day. She immediately found herself standing face to face with the Duke, Andrew Williams.

His blue eyes hadn't changed. They were cold and cruel and judging. He smiled, "Good morning, Millie."

"Don't talk to me." She shoved last him.

"Please, at least allow me to make amends."

"No, Andrew. You had your chance." Millicent gathered a plate of food and sat down. She reached for her napkin but Andrew was already unfolding it, placing it delicately on her lap. She shot an irritated glance at him. "May I eat my breakfast in peace?"

"I want to talk."

"I want you to leave." She spat.

Andrew ignored her, settling in the seat across from her. He clasped his hands and leaned forward, "How can I make this up to you?"

Millicent suddenly felt sick. She whispered. "Make it up to me? You took something from me I can never get back!"

She stood up, ready to run from the room. Andrew grabbed her arm, stopping her. They were standing so close she could see the strands of gold in his brown hair. Millicent could feel herself shaking udnerneath his grip. Too many memories were coming back. Ones she had tried so hard to forget. Andrew slowly released her, "At least let me try to prove I'm a better man."

"No. You've ruined your chance. I want you gone by tomorrow." She said.

"Or what?" He asked.

Or what? He always asked that question. Millicent pursed her lips and left the room. She had nothing else to say to that man.

〰〰〰〰〰〰〰〰〰〰〰〰〰〰〰〰〰〰〰

Skipping breakfast had made Millicent feel very faint as she walked through the streets of the city. She had taken a long walk to get away from home...and Andrew. He was still lurking around, waiting to corner her. It made her feel helpless, and so she had left. But now she was hungry and hadn't brought any money with her.

"Well aren't you just so resourceful..." Millicent mumbled to herself, keeping her head down.

She hadn't been paying attention to the man standing in front of her until she ran headlong into him. Millicent looked up into the startled blue eyes of none other than Theodore Ashton. He seemed genuinely surprised to see her standing there in the midst of the bustling city.

"Millicent?" He rasped, running his long fingers through his blond locks. "Wh-what are you doing here?"

"I...nothing..." She scratched her head nervously and laughed. "I was going to get something to eat but...I left my money at home. So I guess I'm headed back."

"Oh here, take mine." He ruffled around in his pockets.

Millicent held up her hands. "I don't take charity."

"Oh come on." He stuffed the dollar bills into her hands. He slipped his hands into his pockets and smiled awkwardly. "Well...it-it is nice seeing you again. How are you faring?"

"I'm well." She lied. They both knew she wasn't. "And you?"

"I'm well." He lied back.

Millicent shuffled her feet and peered up at him. "Would...would you like to join me for a quick breakfast?"

What was she doing?! This was a stupid idea. She shouldn't have said anything. And it was to late to take back what she had said.

"Sure. It sounds nice." He said. But she could tell he was only being polite.

Theodore followed her down the busy sidewalks to a little café were they slipped inside, loving its warmth from the cold whether. Millicent took a seat near the window and Theodore followed suite. She clasped her hands tightly underneath the table, unable to drag her eyes away from the man who had stolen her heart. The same heart that was fluttering rapidly in her chest.

"Have...have you found a suitable wife yet? I know your father has been pushing for you to get married and all..." Millicent snapped her mouth shut. It wasn't a smart topic to start a conversation with, but she wanted to know. She needed answers.

Theodore shook his head and reached across the table, but he curled his fingers into a tight fist before they reached her. "Ever since I met you...I haven't been able to find anyone else that..."

The words never left his lips, but she understood what he was feeling. Millicent tried to laughed but the sound died away on her lips, "I know what you mean."

"Why did you leave?" He asked her, pain in his eyes.

"Why didn't you stop me?" She replied.

They didn't speak anymore after that. Millicent drank her coffee and ate a croissant. Theodore pushed away his mug and stood up, "I really should get going..."

"Wait." Millicent called after him. He turned around, eyebrows raised. She fiddled with her sleeve hem. "Will I see you again?"

"That might not be smart, Millicent. Good day." He pulled up the lapels of his jacket and left her in the cold.

"Right." She mumbled.

He was always right.

Copyright © 2016 by Rosanna Parker

All Rights Reserved

Okay, I'm not really sure how well this chapter went. Tell me what you think in the comments below!

-Rosanna