A Missing Face: Ch. 9

Into the schools parking lot I pulled, I had finally been able to get to work on time.

My car had finally gotten out of the shop and was working smoothly.

I must admit, I rather enjoyed the thrill of the rushing to school thing.

Made me feel like a kid again.

Though its not like I'm that old or anything but still I miss my younger days.

Into classroom I walked, I hadn't been able to do that in a while.

Cause for those past last couple of weeks I had been rushing to class but with my car I could make it there just in time to.

To my desk I danced happily and anxiously, just about ready to start class, I sat my coffee on the desk and my briefcase with it before taking a seat and kicking up my feet.

I sipped up my coffee cheerily as I pulled out some research and paperwork from my briefcase.

School was almost ready to begin and the students would be pouring in at any minute.

So I worked fast to prepare before they did, I had planned a good discussion for that day and couldn't wait to share it with my class.

Finally it turned 9:00 and all of the kids started bursting through the doors, but as they did I noticed one student was missing.

And that was Jasmine, it wasn't like her to not show up for class, especially mine. She loved them, and me.

I knew something was not right, I could feel it but still I had a class to teach and I couldn't just end it on a limb.

I mean I was late a few times, so I couldn't just assume the worse.

I just figured she would be in later, perhaps even before I begun the discussion.

But she did not.

"Hello dear students"-I voiced loudly to them all in greeting before taking my feet from the desk and planting it onto the floor-"Are you all ready to begin?"

"Yes!" Said my entire class together in perfect synch before placing down their books and tablets.

"If you will open up your science books to page 124, we can begin shortly"-I instructed smiling widely as I stood up from my chair and walked to the center of my classroom, I then faced my class and gave them all a quick once over-"Very good, now let's begin."

"Today we are going to talk about the causes of mutation in DNA, can anyone tell me what causes mutations?"-I asked as I crossed my hands behind my back and paced the classes floor-"Does anybody know?"

I got no answer, which I had expected but still I knew if Jasmine was there I would have and extra.

She was a smart girl and I couldn't stop thinking about her.

"That's what I thought, that's why I prepared this discussion for today."-I said as my eyes constantly shifted to the classroom's doors, I couldn't help it though, I was so worried about her that day-"So I will explain it, Mutations happen for several reasons."

As I begun the lecture I looked to the classroom's door again but quickly forced myself to face the class again.

"See what causes mutation in the DNA is when one DNA fails to copy accurately
Most of the mutations that we think matter to evolution are all naturally occurring."-I explained while constantly sneaking glances at the classroom’s door before continuing to say-"for example, when a cell divides, it makes a copy of its DNA and sometimes the copy is not quite perfect. That small difference from the original DNA sequence is a mutation."

The urge to leave class right then and there was so strong I couldn't keep focus.

It then took me a few minutes to recollect myself as I shook my head and blew out my cheeks-"I'm sorry, um...I just need a minute."-I explained as I rubbed my forehead broodingly and exclaimed.

"Now...where was I?"-I asked removing my hand from my forehead before one of my students answered-"You were talking about how the genes divides and stuff!"

I nodded and spit of a nervous chuckle and then looked up at him before saying "Thank you...now anyways! External influences can create mutations."-I begun to explain as I put on a forced smile, I wasn't feeling very good and I had to keep that from showing-"Mutations can also be caused by exposure to specific chemicals or radiation. What many call a freak accident, its in all of the superhero movies."

The class chuckled and I pretended to as well, though I didn't feel like laughing at the time.

I was to worried about Jasmine, I mean maybe she found out about me or what if Mason had something to do with it.

All of these thoughts ran through my head, each one being worser then the first.

I had to keep focus though, for my classes sake and my job.

"Now when chemicals or radiation enters the body or when the body is exposed to it, The agents cause the DNA to break down. This is not necessarily unnatural even in the most isolated and pristine environments, DNA breaks down. Nevertheless, when the cell repairs the DNA, it might not do a perfect job of the repair."-I explained with shifty eyes and a crinkled forehead, I was still worrying, I couldn't control it-"So that means the cell would end up with DNA slightly different than the original DNA and hence, a mutation is born."

"Now if you all will turn to page 125, there we will be studying about more of what I have just explained to you."-I instructed before checking my watch anxiously, I still had a couple of hours left to go and was growing quite impatient and fast.

I wanted to make sure Jasmine was safe, I just had a feeling she wasn't though.

Finally after minutes of trying to ignore it I said "Listen everyone, class is going to be dismissed for today! tomorrow will be a better day, seeing we are missing one out classmates already."

Quickly the entire class emptied out their chairs in a haste for the doors and left the classroom as I stood just watching speechless.

They wanted to leave that bad.

Uh?

Soon after I rushed outside to my car and called up Jasmine, she did not answer and that drove me insane.

All I kept getting was her answering machine-"Hello its Jasmine Bates, if you are hearing this then I am probably not even home which means you must leave me a message after the beep."

*Beep*

"Jasmine if you get this message call me!" I said into my phone before hanging up and getting into my car then peeling off.

I had to know if she was okay, I just had to.

To be continued...

"I had to make sure she was okay, i just had to!"-Xandor Wixham

All Rights Reserved®