Round and Round In Circles

*Around a week after the trial*

“What?”

Horror crossed my features at the words spilling through the phone I clutched desperately to my ear. It couldn’t be true. She had to be lying, obviously she had misheard or misunderstood.

“I’m sorry sweetheart,” Mum spoke quickly, her voice fading briefly as she snapped at some passerby. “I know it isn’t what you expected.”

“What I expected?” I gasped, unable to believe what I was hearing. How could they, after everything that had happened, after the pure evidence presented to them? “Mum! It’s not fair! How could he just get away with it?!”

“Honey-”

“How could they say that! I was there! I saw everything! He shot me! That has to serve for something right?”

“The law syste-”

I scoffed, rolling my eyes and resisting throwing the phone at the ground in fury.

“I don’t give a fuck what the law system says! Do you know what he did to us?”

I heard mum sigh heavily and I tried to calm down, tried to calm the rage and undeniable fear that roiled and bubbled through my veins. This couldn’t be happening! I thought it was over, it was meant to be finished. It’s not meant to happen like this. He was meant to be gone, Ace and I could live happily.

“I can’t change anything Andrew Johanessy. Do not use that language with me.”

Stupid woman.

“You don’t get it do you?” I hissed, holding the phone away from my face slightly. “He tried to fuck me over mum. He tried to destroy us.”

“A verdict is a verdict Andrew. I tried to talk to the judge but he won’t have any of it. If Seth was under the influence of drugs then there’s not much we can do about it.”

“That’s not the point!” I yelled louder, my back hitting the wall and I slid down until I stared into the empty recesses of my bedroom. My voice dropped to a whisper. “I could see it in his eyes mum. He knew what he was doing… every last second and he enjoyed it. He deserves to be locked away in a mental asylum! Not fucking community service or ‘rehab’! He’s already crazy!”

“The law is the law honey.”

“Don’t say that. Don’t.” I tried to hold back the choking tears that clamoured behind my lids but my body refused, my free hand clawing at the ground. My breathing was shallow, desperation slamming into my body with every passing second. This can’t be right. This can’t be it.

“I’m sorry Andrew.”

“No! There has to be something else!”

“I’m sorr-” She sighed at a sudden interruption, talking to someone in the same room as her before speaking my name again. “Andrew? Look, your father’s here, we’ll have to talk about this on Thursday when we get back. You’ll be alright until then?”

“No,” I hoarsely spoke, numbly staring at the wall.

“I love you honey. This has been hard on you, try and feel better. Please don’t hang around that Accel boy though? He isn’t good news.”

My breath hissed as I sucked it in through clenched teeth, angry at the way she blatantly insulted the boy I loved. Smooth stone ran under my finger as I traced the ring on my thumb, a small smile gracing my lips as I remembered the past couple of days. Accel…