Chapter Eighteen: I can't (Niall/Kim/Niall's POV)

Chapter Eighteen - I can't

+++

Niall’s POV

I look up from the menu to see Kim talking to to the girl at the register. I quickly look back down when I see Kim’s hand point in my direction even though she keeps her eyes on the girl in front of her.

I pretend I don’t know they’re talking about me because I love Kim and all but she’s too nice and she’d let the girl sit with us if she was a fan because Kim loves making people happy. It’s admiring, really, but I’m selfish and wanna be alone with Kim.

I wanna be more like her though, so if she invites her over, I’ll suck it up. The girl points towards a hall and Kim starts making her way to it. The girl quickly turns in my direction and I immediately stand up to follow her. I’ll suck it up another day.

I decide on scaring her and I quietly sneak up on her and wrapping my arm around her neck strongly but not to harm her. She visibly freezes with her hands gripping my fore arm preventing me from tightening around her. I try to hold back a laugh but I have no urge in laughing when she mumbles something so quietly I barely heard it.

“Ethan..” She pauses before continuing, “I’m sorry, but  please don’t do this now.”

I drop my arm from around her and stand speechless behind her. She lets out a breath of relief but keeps her  back to me. I wait a few seconds for her to turn around but she doesn’t as she keeps her head down, breathing rapidly.

“What?” I say, anger lingering in my words.

Her head shot up at my voice but still kept her back to me.

“Answer me.” I demand and I almost what to apologize to her for how I’m speaking to her but I won’t.

She slowly turns to me and meets my eyes and I see the tears falling down her face mixing with her make up. She looks downright terrified and I outstretch my arms to comfort her but stop halfway remembering what just happened. She sees me pull back and she sobs even more.

“Tell me what’s going on!”

“I can’t.” She whispers.

“You can’t or you won’t?” I reply taking a step and forcing her to look at me.

“I can’t!” She attempts yelling despite her throat not allowing her to.

She pulls her face away from the hand I had on her cheek and wipes the tears away.

“Okay.” I mutter, defeated.

Her eyes flicker up to me through her lashes and she looks at me disbelievingly. “Okay?” She questions.

I feel tears burning my eyes and I blink them away. “Yeah.”

I quickly turn and walk into the boys restroom before she can reply and let the tears flow.

Why doesn’t she trust me? I trust her with my life and she can’t do the same.

Why the fuck was she scared out of her mind and why of all names did she say his name? What did he do to her?

Last time she was upset, she ran away and I was worried as fuck. Shit.

I run out of the restroom ready to start running around downtown looking for her but I find her in the same spot I left her with her face buried in her hands.

This time, I don’t stop myself from wrapping my arms around her and hugging her.

She instantly wraps her arms around me and grips onto my shirt as if she’s being pulled from me. Her sobs are devastating to hear. I rub her back softly and hum softly to her to help her relax and I smile at the way she forces her sobs to quiet down so she can hear me humming to her.