CHAPTER 21

Nivedita and Swara had too much to catch up so they slept only during early hours of the morning. Swara was thrilled that Nivedita would be staying for a week at the baadi. She wanted to talk to her about her past. She wanted to get a clear picture of what exactly happened during the days preceding her departure to Sydney.
Last night Hridoy was in a bad mood.He sulked the whole way while they were returning from the party and told her that he would not be available anymore for her errands. Swara felt bad and decided to see him later in the week to know the reason for his decision. It was better to give him some time to cool down.

Swara never believed that she would ever be in love.That she was in love with Sanskar Maheshwari was like a flash of lightening on a stormy summery sky. She did not know where this disclosure would lead to but she was sure that she needed to crush this feeling. She should get a grip on herself where Sanskar Maheshwari was concerned.There was no future to this love she discovered for him. It was one sided and she did not want to expose herself to the raw pain if she indulged in it. She needed to close this chapter if she had to move forward in her life. If she listened to her heart, she could not wait to see him but if she listened to her mind, it asked her to slow down and thrust him out of her heart. Torn between the two, Swara eventually made her way to office a bit late.

Sanskar pulled the earring savagely out of the shirt. He did not notice it last night but this morning when he was trying not to remember her, the earring manifested itself on his shirt button. It might have got entangled when they were dancing.He untangled it and put it inside a small box in his wardrobe. He cursed himself for attending the party last night. Why did he rush like a maniac when he came to know that she was partying with her friend? And how he resented her dancing with Ishan? She must have found him insane to take her into his arms and dance like that in front of her friends and colleagues.The problem was that he always stopped thinking when he was with Swara Bose; he was led by impulses and instincts when he was around her. Her nearness sent all his carefully controlled senses into disarray. What was the solution to this problem?

To maintain a careful distance with her and send her back to SM24 office but the thought of not seeing her everyday was depressing him already. Last night after picking up his overwrought mother from the outskirts of the city, he spent a sleepless night tossing and turning, longing to feel Swara in his arms.The woman was making him go crazy.

Swara's appointment with Ishan went as per schedule 

'You mean there is someone working against him right in his house?' Swara asked Ishan. As planned they met at the cafe to discuss about Sanskar's accidents and Swara was shocked to know that there were cameras placed in his room. No wonder, Sanskar felt stalked in his own room.
'Yes, if cameras were installed in his room without his knowledge, then someone is definitely after his blood.' Ishan added
Swara frowned and started to worry about Sanskar. She narrated the shooting and car blast incidents to Ishan. He wanted to know the entire sequence and asked her to recall each and every moment of the attacks.
'I think there is someone stalking every step of Sanskar even in office. Or they wouldn't know his movements so well. Do you have any suspect in your mind? I mean have you felt anyone following Sanskar?' he asked Swara
She remembered Karan telling her about him hanging out near the main office...'Look, I don't know. He is my friend so I should not let him down. Maybe I am wrong may be I am not But something about his words, did not sound right.' She related Karan's conversation to Ishan.
'Hmm... There is definitely some smoke here so I have to keep an eye on this guy....'He said thoughtfully.
'You know I am surprised that you are not interrogating me. I was present on both occasions with Sanskar so the evidence could point towards me ......'she said
'You are too much in love with Sanskar to think of harming him.....' Ishan replied amusedly
Swara was stumped 'Is it that obvious?' she asked
Ishan laughed 'It was obvious to anyone who saw you last night at the party. You guys had eyes only for each other.' He teased her
Swara was little embarrassed. Was she really that transparent? Did Sanskar know that she was in love with him? She hoped not. Ishan continued with his theories about the investigation
'Or you could have been their target and we might be completely off the track. Did it not strike you that you could have been the one they wanted to kill and not Sanskar?' He asked
Swara paled....Was she the one they wanted to harm? 'Who would want to kill me? 'She asked confusedly
'Hey relax. I am just pointing out some facts. No need to get so worried. We need to analyse from all angles.'
Swara nodded and then she remembered something that Sanskar told her
'Was the guy who shot Sanskar really killed? Who was he?'
'Hmm, he was shot and thrown into the river, the car was burnt down. He hails from a nearby village and brought to the city for this purpose. He was not even a professional ' Ishan told her
'So the intention was only to scare and not to kill.' Swara concluded
'Or it might be a ploy to distract everyone from the real story. The real culprit might still be lurking around to strike at the right time. That is why I wanted to get to the bottom of this so that I could find some clue.'
Swara felt a frisson of alarm coursing through her on hearing Ishan's words. They were finishing their coffee when Swara asked Ishan
'What about his servants at home?'
'Yeah I was thinking of talking to them. Why don't you come with me? It will be easier for me if there are two of us.'
Swara did not want to go to Sanskar's house but she wanted to solve this mystery as quickly as possible. So she agreed to his suggestion and they decided to visit his house soon. Ishan promised to call her whenever he was free to go.