CHAPTER 7

The auditorium reverberated with

Sau tarah ke rog le loon. 

Ishq ka marz kya hai.

The audience too sang along with Hridoy. The atmosphere was electrifying. They could not get enough of the band's performance. Hridoy crooned all the latest numbers of Bollywood films. Songs like 'Sab tera', 'Bolna' 'Soch na sake'......along with peppy numbers made the listeners sway wildly. Swara's concentration was focussed on playing the guitar. She and the Bass player joined the chorus. So intense was her absorption, that Swara missed the brief appearance of Sanskar Maheshwari at the Auditorium.

Sanskar was astonished at the crazy spectators. From this distance, he could not see Swara's face clearly but could hear her guitar. He didn't think she was aware of her surroundings. She was too involved in strumming the guitar. He did not want to admit but he was impressed.

Actually, when he was leaving the house to meet his foreign client, Uttara, Pari bhabhi and Ragini were waiting to go for the concert.
'It is getting late,Ragini bhabhi..We will the miss beginning....'Uttara cried
'What are you waiting for?' Sanskar asked
'No driver..I am trying to call a cab.' Ragini said
'I will drop you...' The words were out before he could stop himself. And that is how he ended up coming to the venue. After they rushed into the hall, he followed them to take a look but he left after a brief visit.

The concert went off well and they had a good turnout. The proceeds from the concert were to be donated to a charity home. Since last night, when Ragini informed her that the whole family was planning to attend the concert, Swara was on tenterhooks. She did not expect Sanskar Maheshwari to attend the concert but hoped that his presence would not unnerve her. Thankfully, only Ragini, Uttara and Pari bhabhi attended the concert though a tiny fraction of her heart wanted the arrogant Sanskar to see her on the stage. After the concert, Uttara could not stop raving about Swara though Pari bhabhi looked disinterested in the whole thing.

Swara and her band members left for their favourite place to celebrate the success of the concert. They left their instruments at her house. Their band leader Hridoy treated them to meal at one of the popular restaurant in the city. It was a fun evening till they paid their bills and came out.

Swara, with her friends, was waiting near the lobby for the cab when she spotted a group of business men in formal attire coming out of the oriental Pan Asian restaurant that was housed in the same property. One of them was Sanskar Maheshwari. Swara could not stop staring at him. He was suited in black and white. He was loosening his tie lazily and coming out of the restaurant. Swara's mouth dried up and her heart started beating violently. She turned away before he could see her. She hoped that none of her friends heard her loudly ticking pulses. The group passed by and only then did she notice the tall slim girl in a black mini cocktail dress hanging onto Sanskar's arms. Her face was upturned towards him and he was laughing at some joke she cracked and looking into her eyes. They waited at the front porch for their respective cars.

Swara felt like throwing her purse at them. An unnamed outrage was taking over her. She wanted to bellow at everyone. Her friend was asking her something but she hardly heard her. Her eyes were fixed on the couple at the porch. Their car arrived and the three men who had accompanied Sanskar shook his hands and got into it. The girl hung back on his arms and after the car left, another one tailed it, Sanskar opened the door for her and followed her into it. The car left and Swara slowly sat down on the couch. She did not know what took over her but she heaved a sigh of relief after he left. The trembling in her body slowly subsided and pulses returned back to normalcy.

She spent a disturbed night imagining all sorts of scenes between Sanskar and his lady. She wondered if he loved her. She could not imagine those cold eyes looking at anybody with love. The more she thought of it, the more convinced she was of his heartless nature. Did any woman or girl evoke any emotion in him? She did not think that she would ever see a vulnerable Sanskar Maheshwari ever in her life.