Chapter 3

"Allie?" I looked up from my second cup of coffee to see JJ talking to me.
"Got any ideas?" She asked kindly. I looked around the table to see the team looking at me and then I looked at the board with pictures and writing all over it.
"He's accelerating. Killing every couple days now. However, our prediction of the proximity of which he lives in is most likely correct and we can even alter it to make it smaller because of his most recent kills and where they were." I stood up and walked towards the board where the markings of his recently killed were on a picture. I picked up a marker and began to draw from one killing to another which formed a triangle then I drew a circle around them. "So I assume he either works or lives around here." I could tell when I turned around they all already knew that and were just either testing my knowledge or realized I was just out of it. Hotch picked up his phone and dialed a number.
"Garcia look up..." He walked out of the room before I heard the rest of the conversation.
"Good job Carter." Morgan said giving me a high five. I gave him a smile then walked over to Reid.
"Did you finish that book?" I asked.
"Yeah I did. I would ask if you got any more sleep but from the looks of it, you didn't." I looked down at the empty coffee cup in my hand and chuckled.
"Probably a good half hour before I had to wake up." I laughed.
"Want to go get more coffee?" He asked. I looked through the glass doors at Hotch coming back.
"Yeah, tonight at a real coffee shop?" I asked smiling. Before he could answer Hotch walked through the doors.
"We found him." We all hurried towards the door and I strapped on my vest. We got in two cars and drove to a beat up house. We all got out and Hotch stood by the front door.
"Morgan, Carter and JJ go to the back." I followed Morgan to the back door and pulled out my gun and flashlight. He turned to look at me and JJ to make sure we were ready. I nodded and he bust down the door. I forced down my impressed emotion and walked hastily through the house. I found a basement and shivered. I heard a shatter come from down there and yelled "He's down here! FBI! Darwin Brick come out with your hands on your head!" I stepped down the stairs quickly and shined my flashlight in the direction I saw him run. All of a sudden I see someone running at me with closed fists. I dodged his first hit with less than a second to spare but his next one was as fast as the first. I felt a sudden aching in my cheekbone and I stumbled back dropping my gun and flashlight. I felt a strike of something hit my knee and I gasped in pain falling to my back. I thought quickly and rolled to get my flashlight which was right by me. My gun was farther and I wasn't able to move far but a little light would help. I picked it up and shined it on a man charging at me. I tried to scoot back and winced at the pain. Next thing I know there's a loud pop in the room and he falls almost directly on my legs. I looked in astonishment at Rossi who stood there with a pistol in hand. It took less then 3 seconds for the rest of the team to hurry downstairs. Reid came towards me along with Prentiss and they put their guns away. I couldn't stop staring at the spot he stood in. I felt grasping on my arms and I was lifted up.
"I'm okay you guys. I can walk." I took a step foward and stumbled but I tried to continue anyway.
"Reid help her to the ambulance. Prentiss alert the medics that we're down here." Hotch ordered. Prentiss raced up the stairs and I wrapped my arm over Reid shoulder and he grabbed onto the side of my torso. I limped up the stairs trying to not put all of my weight on him. I couldn't tell if he was talking to me or not. Everything seemed so unreal. Once we got up the stairs the job of getting me to the ambulance was now Morgans. He got me to the red truck and I sat down on the edge of it. I clenched my teeth and bit my tongue to not let out a cry when the medics were pulling up my tight pants to check my leg. They wrapped it up and told me it was only a bruise and nothing serious. They cleaned up my face and I saw Reid walking towards me.
"Are you okay?" He asked.
"Yeah of course. It's just a few bruises. I'll live." I said smiling. "Is he uh, is he dead?"
He nodded, "Yeah. He's dead."
I ran out of breath for a moment until I looked up and saw Rossi. I pushed myself up from the abulence and limped my way over to him.
"Rossi?" I asked. He turned around and smiled at me.
"Yeah?" He asked.
"Thank you."
"Anytime." He said placing a hand on my shoulder.
I walked back to where Reid was standing and looked at him.
"So about that coffee?"