Ch.30 Mother's love

Right after dance class was over, Reyna changed back into her normal clothes and gathered her things.

"Hey Reyna" Nicole went up to her "Are you feeling any better?"

"Well this morning I woke up with feathers all over the bed" Reyna said "But over all I haven't really changed into a swan."

"Well that's good, but you know you still need to practice controlling your powers."

"I know" Reyna sighed "That's why I'm gonna do now."

"Okay, good luck."

But just as Reyna turned, her bag accidentally bumped into the wall as the Red Shoes fell out of an open pocket.

"What the?" Nicole's eyes widen when she saw the shoes.

"Uh it's nothing" Reyna said as she quickly picked up the shoes.

"Reyna are those the Red Shoes?"

"Uh, no they're just regular dance shoes" Reyna lied.

"Don't lie" Nicole frowned "I know those Red Shoes anywhere, and what were they doing in your bag? Were you trying to cheat again?"

"No I uh-" Reyna said as she tried to think of an excuse.

"Wait a minute" Nicole's eyes widen "Were you going to use those on me?"

"Uh..."

"You were weren't you?"

Reyna hesitated with a guilty look.

"I can't believe you Reyna" Nicole said with shock "I know you wanted to lead, but I just hoped that you could find it in your heart to be happy for me."

"I am happy for you" Reyna said.

"Really Reyna" Nicole frowned "Or is that just another one of your lies?"

"I-" Reyna hesitated again.

"You know what? If you want the part so badly, then go ahead and take it, I hope that makes you happy."

And with that Nicole stormed out of the studio, leaving Reyna alone as she looked at the Red Shoes with a sad look on her face and her heart beating with guilt.

Out at the Enchanted Lake, Duchess sat on a boulder near the lake with a sad look, not having the courage to dance today. With her mother's ballerina music box broken, so was her heart.

"Duchess" she turned around to see Justine.

"What do you want?" Duchess asked annoyed.

"I wanna talk to you."

"Well get loss."

"No" Justine said as she went up to her "Look, I really am sorry for you music box, but Lizzie told me everything, that the music box used to belong to your mother, I can see why it was so important to you. And I wanna make it up to you."

"How?" Duchess frowned.

"Well" Justine said as she reached into her bag and pulled the ballerina music box that was now fixed.

"You fixed it?" Duchess gasped.

"Actually Farrah fixed it" Justine said as she handed the music box to Duchess.

"But her magic only last until 12."

"Well she didn't use her wand, instead she used a different wand that can permanently fix anything."

Duchess examined the music box and saw that it really was fixed, no cracks, no smudges, it looked normal.

"I can't believe this" she said surprised.

"Now I believe a certain 'thank you' is what I should be hearing" Justine said.

"Oh uh, thank you."

"You're welcome" Justine smiled as she sat on another boulder next to her "But uh, can you tell me more about the music box?"

"Well what do you want to know?"

"Well all I know is that it used to belong to your mother, but I want to know more about it."

"Well. If you must know, this music box has been in my family for years, even since the first Swan Queen. My mother got this when she was she was about my age and attending Ever After, and it was the only thing that kept her happy when she was dealing with her destiny, well besides dancing of course. Now I never really knew my mother, mainly because she lived out her destiny after I was born so I was raised by my grandmother and the swan maidens.

But even though I never really knew her, this music box is the only thing that keeps me connected with her. I was so fascinated with this when I was younger, but now that I own it, I just feel more connected with my mother. I really wished I could of spent more time with her, but it's too late now. And this is the only thing I have left of her."

Justine could see the sad look in Duchess's eyes.

"Duchess I, I'm so sorry" she said sadly.

"It's okay" Duchess sniffed "At least you have a mother who loves you, and protects you, and cuddles you when your feeling down. My grandmother was the only one who did that to me, but I will never know what it will feel like to be loved by my mother."

Duchess then started to feel her eyes water.

"Was it hard to grow up without a mother?" Justine asked with a sad look.

"You have no idea" Duchess sniffed "When I was 8 and when I started to get my powers of transformation, the kids used to make fun of me, of my webbed feet and the way I honked. And everyday I would run home crying to my grandmother. I always thought about running into my mother's arm and telling her about my bad days, but then I remember that I can't.

By the time I was 10 the teasing stopped because I finally got control of my powers, but it never really felt right because my mother was never there to watch me grow up into the Swan Princess. She was never there to tuck me in at night, to wipe my tears away, to hold me in her arms to comfort me. I never had a mother's love, and I know I never will."

Justine felt her heart break as a tear dripped down Duchess's cheek as she gave a sniff. But at that point Justine pulled her into a hug which made Duchess surprised.

"I had no idea" Justine sniffed as she also felt her eyes water as she pulled away.

Duchess looked back at the music box and wiped her tears away.

"Are you gonna be okay?" Justine asked "Do you want me to leave you alone?"

"No" Duchess sniffed "Please stay."

"I'm not going anywhere."