XXXVIII

Julian frowns. "What sapphire?"

"The one on the dream catcher you gave me," I clarify, pulling my cell phone from my night stand as he digs in his pocket. I press the screen and dial Georgia.

He studies the charm in the light and curses softly. "That asshole," he growls and then as the phone rings in my ear he asks, "Who are you calling?"

"I have to warn her," I mumble absently.

"Who?" he demands reaching for the phone.

I duck away from him as Georgia picks up. "Hey, Jayme, what's up?"

He's watching me and I feel my face burn. "We have a problem."

The laughter fades as her voice hardens. "What is it?"

"Julian's father has been spying on me," I say simply.

She curses. "That sneaky bastard. Is Julian there now?"

"Yes," I reply softly. "He took the charm bracelet from me."

"Good," she says with a snap. "So, David Cross knows you've been practicing?"

"Yes," I choke, nerves forming a lump in my throat.

She sighs heavily into the phone. "It's alright, Jayme. You need to tell Julian he has to teach you screening. Now. No charms, not anymore. You need to wield your power manually, so to speak. I'm not a Spiritus, I can't help you with that."

"What's screening?" I ask her dumbly. Julian, who has been watching me the entire time is now glowering blackly. "Never mind," I say in a rush, "Just... just be careful, Georgia."

"You too, Jayme," she replies softly. "Good night."

I press the screen, ending the call and put the phone back on my night stand, I scrub my hands down my face. Julian stands, his knees cracking loudly in the dead silence. He perches on the edge of my bed and scrapes his hands through his flaxen hair roughly.

"I thought I told you not to tell anyone," he murmurs with his hands braced at the back of his neck, watching me with a sideways glance. He looks tired.

"I-I didn't," I stammer. "She figured it out."

"Who?" he demands. "Who is Georgia?"

I gulp and remain silent, staring at him with large, helpless eyes.

"Oh, no you don't," he scoffs and moves so that his face is mere inches from mine –two might be a gross exaggeration. I feel his breath, warm and minty, fan my face. "Don't think you can give me those eyes and not answer me dammit," he growls. "You agreed to trust me, you promised me. No secrets Jayme. This is fucking serious shit we're in now, who the hell is Georgia?"

I frown. "I-I'm trying to trust you Julian, but you scare the hell out of me!" I whisper harshly.

He backs away from me. "I scare you? Are you serious?"

I nod weakly. "I've known you practically my whole life, and you've always been so... so... cold. Distant. Aloof. You are the son of the Council leader, Julian," I wave my hand at his face, in emphasis as I say, "And you're beautiful. You've always hated me. You confuse me. You s-say these things. Things you shouldn't," I add darkly, "Because I'm not even supposed to be on your radar. We're oceans apart, you and I. Ethan comes, these powers come," I shudder, holding my middle as if to hold myself together. I feel like I'm falling apart right here in front of him. I begin to rock back and forth slowly. "And all of a sudden, you're here. Why are you here?" My frown deepens. "How did you even get in here tonight?"