XLIV

I sit at Georgia's kitchen table with hot rollers in my hair. I have to admit, for someone with short hair, she is much better at this than I am. It feels good to be pampered. Right now, she's filing the nails on my left hand, my right soaking in something that smells like eucalyptus and vanilla.

"So, you and Julian, huh?" she says, pulling out a clear, pink tinted polish.

I sigh. "No," she eyes me critically and I blush, adding, "Well, I mean, I'm dating Ethan."

"Really." She crooks her brow at me.

I scowl at her. "All I know, is that he says he... wants me." So much blood rushes to my face, I'm convinced I have none left to keep my heart beating. "It's just so... strange, you know? I wonder about the truth of it. Is he for real? Or it some Spiritus trick I know nothing about? It could be empathy, right? Like he's manipulating my emotions?"

She nods. "I get it. You don't know enough to get to the truth of it. But with Ethan, he's a mundane, so you know he's for real. And what you feel for him is for real."

"Exactly," I say, blowing on my nails to speed up their drying process.

She shrugs. "I understand. Spiritus magic is creepy to me."

"Seriously?" I give her an incredulous look.

She shrugs. "Well, yeah. At least the elements are tangible. You can see them or feel them. But telepathy? Creepy and invasive. Empathy? Seems unfair that a person could sense every emotion you feel and manipulate them. You can alter how someone feels. That's just wrong. Being psychic might be cool, but what happens when you see a future you don't like? Can you change it? Should you? If you consider the butterfly effect, then I'd say no. But then, how awful would it be if you saw the death of someone you loved? Could you not change that? Either way, it's morally objectionable. The telekinesis is kind of cool, though. Hand me the hairspray."

To prove a point, I spare a brief glance at the can and it lifts from the table and floats graciously across until it settles gently in front of her.

She grins. "See? That's just fucking cool."

I laugh and shake my head. "Either way, I just need to be sure of myself. My feelings. Up until Ethan moved here, Julian was a forgone conclusion. We were enemies. That was the status quo. Now, all of that's changed? I'm having a hard time with that."

"So, what happened?" she asks absently, coating my nails with the clear, pink polish. "I mean, I know Julian's made a play for you and he's putting the charm on thick, but why are you so sure it's a trick?"

"I don't trust him," I reply, pulling my hand from the liquid it's soaking in and handing it to her.

She nods. "That'll do it."

I sigh. "I thought I knew him. And then he flips the switch," I snap my fingers.

"Do you like Julian?"

I blush. Hard. "Yes," I say, my voice a little choked with embarrassment. "I like him. I-I used to dream I was in love with him, which is just confusing. Did I really feel that way? Was it just subconscious? Like, because I was lonely? I don't know. I'm... attracted to him."

She grins. "Well, who wouldn't be? He's gorgeous."

I sigh again, heavily. "Yeah, he is. And oh, boy, when he kisses me..."

She chuckles. "I remember that feeling. It's nice isn't it?"

"It's more than nice," I mutter. "It makes me want things... think things..." My face grows even hotter.