LIX

I shrug into my coat, grab my bags and head out of the locker room into the grey afternoon. Practice felt good today. I'm getting stronger and we've tentatively developed a plan. Georgia thinks we should try to go to New Orleans over the upcoming holiday break. It'll give us a reprieve from Salem and the Guild, specifically Ethan. We usually travel in pairs since the day at the diner, and I've been keeping a close eye on Julian.

He's still pissed.

Normally Paige is here, since we're on the volleyball team together, but today she had to skip practice to fill in for a girl at the café. So, there is no car –or bike, idling in the parking lot to take me home. I sigh. Hoisting my gym bag up onto my shoulder, I set my jaw and my resolve, and prepare for my hour-long walk home. I've gotten soft.

I would've called one of the guys, but they have a game in Melrose. The good thing is, that means Ethan is with them. And so is Shane. I can only hope that Davis is with Ethan, he's not a jock in the least, but that's a lot of Sorcer boys in one place to leave Ethan by himself. Guild descendant or not, he did just find out.

I'm about fifteen paces from the locker room door when I hear my name called in a panic. I'm turning around when someone barrels into me.

I yelp, fear spiking my adrenaline. Oh, no, not again, I think. I strike out with my fist and hit flesh and bone and hear a startled yelp.

"Goddammit, Jayme-Lynn!" a female voice bellows in pain.

I turn my face, eyes wide open to find my attacker –is Blythe?

"What the hell are you doing?" I demand, anger replacing my fear.

She steps back, holding her nose and mouth. I see a tiny trickle of blood beneath her hand, running to her chin in a thin stream. Swiping at her face, she grimaces when her fingers come away smeared red.

"Christ," she mutters, wiping her face with her hand. "What the hell did you hit me for?"

I bristle. "You ran into me, I didn't—I thought maybe..." I clench my jaw. I'm not about to admit to Blythe Daniels that I thought she was Shane or Ethan or Davis and was momentarily terrified.

It seems it doesn't matter. I see the understanding light in her eyes, melting them to an almond toast. "Oh, shit. Hey, I'm sorry. I'm so fucking freaked out, Jayme-Lynn. I need your help."

I gasp, my eyes wide. "My help? Why?"

She glances around and although we are in fact alone, she shudders and whispers, "Can we get in my car? I really don't want to be in the open."

I frown, my eyes narrowing suspiciously. "Uh, no. I'm not sure I trust you. Just tell me what's going on."

She sighs and clutches my arms. "I have visions," she say thickly, tears spiking her dark fringe of lashes. I'm honestly shocked to see her so overcome and emotional.

"Visions?" I swallow hard. "What kind of visions?"

"Please," she begs softly. "Jayme-Lynn, I'm so fucking scared. I need you to help me. Please, can we get out of here?"

"Why does the school scare you?" I ask her skeptically.

She shudders again, deep tremors racking her slender frame. "I waited for you, I had to make sure everyone was gone first. There are so many things I need to tell you. But I can't do it here. The Elders charmed the school grounds ages ago."

I nod. I remember Georgia telling me that the very first time I'd spoken to her in the library. She refused to talk about the Codex here. We had to go off campus. Hell, even now, we never discuss anything here. We take it off campus. It takes me a moment more of indecision before I capitulate.