L

In the driveway sits a black, 1970 GTO. "Where's your car?" I murmur softly to Julian.

"My dad took it back," he says staring off over the houses, a muscle ticking in his jaw. "He said I couldn't have it after I moved out."

"You moved out?" I feel my mouth fall open in shock. "When? Where? Why?"

He stops moving toward the car and peers down into my face. "He tried to have you killed, Jayme. I told him that if he tries it again, he might as well kill me too, because if not, I'll kill him myself."

I gasp and he takes my hand in his, giving it a reassuring squeeze.

"Hey," he murmurs softly. "It's alright, Jayme. I was at Mike's, but then your Gran..." he clears his throat uncomfortably. "Anyway, I've been sleeping on your couch. Sorry."

"Don't be," I reply. "I know this might sound weird, but you know you can stay with me if you want."

He smirks. "I don't know if that's a good idea, sweetheart. I'm not a saint, you know. There's only so much a guy can take."

I nod and offer him a weak smile. "I understand, but I want you to think about it."

He pulls the door to Ethan's car open, holding it for me. "I'll consider it."

"Please," I insist softly. "Promise me. I owe you so much and..."

"You don't owe me anything," he interrupts me firmly. "Climb in, Jayme. We're going to be late."

The muscle is his jaw is still bunching furiously.

I close my mouth, pull the seat forward and climb into the back.

The drive to the Church isn't long, it's a little further north, between the school and the mall. When we get there, Ethan parks behind the hearse. I shudder.

Filing into the church, Ethan and Julian wind their way through the throng of people to sit in the pew at the front. I step through the ornate wooden doors into the vestibule and Georgia tackles me.

Colliding with me, she wraps her arms around me, knocking the air out of my lungs. "I'm so glad you're back." She whimpers softly.

I hug her back. "I'm so sorry, Georgia."

She waves me off, tears pooling in her hazel eyes. "Forget it. I'm just glad you're here."

I nod, shifting uncomfortably.

She holds my hand and pulls me into the church. We slide in beside Julian and Ethan and I'm on the end.

I sit next to Georgia, curling into her side as she drapes a reassuring arm over my shoulders. I sit while the choir sings. I sit while the reverend preaches. I sit while some lady from the church gives the Eulogy. I sit while Gran's friends speak nice, loving things. I sit while the casket closes. And when it's all over... I stand.

I don't want to hang around. Truthfully, had Ethan and Julian not been there waiting for me this morning, I'd have stayed in my bed. I slip out the back while everyone heads into the church basement for the wake. I don't want condolences. I don't want crappy potluck food. I don't want hugs and tears. I want to go home.

So, that what's I do. I ease on out the door and start walking.

It's November, the wind picks at my hair and lifts it from my shoulders. I shudder and huddle into my wool coat. The leaves, dead and brown swirl and dance, skittering across the pavement like the rattle of old bones.