XLVIII

I ease up into a sitting position and two very base needs hit me at once. My stomach growls like an angry beast and my bladder screams at me. I take care of the latter first and then make my down to Georgia's kitchen.

She sits at her table with a mug of coffee and a plate of toast.

"Hey," I say, stealing a slice. "Can you make a fuck ton more of this? I'm starving."

She gapes at me for a moment, and then with a cry of both anguish and relief, she jumps up and crushes me with a hug.

"Whoa," I say around a mouthful of toast and peanut butter as she knocks me off balance. I wrap my arms around her and squeeze back.

"Holy fuck, Jayme," she groans. "You scared the shit out of me."

I pull away from her and snag the other slice. "I'm sorry," I say around another mouthful. "Really wasn't my intention."

She rolls her eyes and then frowns at me. "So, uh, Julian left pretty upset. Have any idea what that's about?"

I sip from her warm mug of coffee. Oh, that feels good. The jolt of caffeine is more than welcome. "Yeah," I sigh heavily. "I kind of told him to go."

"What? When? How? Why?" She looks aghast.

I raise my eyebrows. "Uh, I thought you were team Ethan?"

She blushes and wanders over to the toaster. Dropping in two slices of bread she replies, "I was and am if that's what you want. He's been good for you."

"So, you haven't changed your mind?" I ask her, skeptical.

She nods then turns and looks at me, her eyes stone cold serious. "I did. I changed my mind."

I laugh incredulously. "Really? Why?"

The look she gives me is heavy and grave. "Because I saw him last night, Jayme. I saw that boy go to pieces over you. I saw his raw soul last night. And if anyone ever loves me like that," she swallows hard, her hazel eyes misting with tears. "Ethan's a nice guy and I'm sure he likes you, but what Julian feels is the real deal and it was kind of awesome to see."

I grimace. "That's why I let him go."

Her head snaps up and she exclaims, "That doesn't make any sense!"

I shake my head. "He loves me, Georgia. And his dad tried to have me killed last night. By someone who used to be one of his best friends. The Guild knows I've been practicing. They'll kill him if they find out he's teaching me."

"And what about me?" she asks warily.

I smile ferociously. "You already know the answer to that, don't you?"

She looks out the kitchen window above the sink, her jaw tight. "You're saying goodbye."

I nod. "We can't be friends, Georgia."

She turns her haunted gaze to mine. "And what about the Guild?"

I feel my face harden. "I'll figure out how to fight them. And then, when I'm ready, I will. I'll beat them, or die trying."

"You don't even know who they are!" she cries.

I shrug. "No, not yet. But I'm sure Gran can point me in the right direction."

"So, what?" she says coldly. "When I see you at the school, I just pretend like I don't know you?"

I nod. "Exactly. Look, I've gotta run. I'm sure Gran is freaking out since I didn't come home last night. I'll just change and go. Thank you, Georgia. For everything."