LXII

We're losing. Shane's dead, but the Guild are experienced at killing us. They've been trained well and they fight hard. I want to say I feel something for taking a life today, but in this moment I have friends to save.

Mike. I grab the lighter and flick it. A shoot of flame arcs toward either Tobias or Elias and ignites in an instant is his hair. He screams and let's Mike go. Mike chokes and coughs and struggles to breathe on his hands and knees. Without hesitation I draw the last drops of water to me. Stretch it and freeze it, it's a small spike of ice. I shoot it the fifteen feet and it lodges through Tobias/Elias' neck. Bull's-eye. The carotid artery. Gone.

"Elias!" Davis screams. Ah, so it was the middle brother.

One down eight to go. I lose my footing and fall to my knees. I've lost a lot of blood and I'm distantly aware of the fact that it no longer hurts. I know that's not a good sign.

Ethan is still viciously attacking Julian, who's dodging and countering as best he can, given he's got no weapon.

Blythe places her hand on my shoulder. I stare at her. Her face is bruised and she's bleeding from her nose and mouth. When the hell did that happen?

"Are you okay?" I ask her.

She manages to roll her eyes like a total bitch. I smirk. I admire her dedication. "I had a vision," she says gravely.

I nod. "Bad news?"

She shrugs. "We can't win. We have to run."

Mike is crawling desperately away from Davis who is coming at him with his blade out. Tristan is fending of two Guild on his own and Blythe clearly got her ass beat by somebody. I see a dark heap further down the field. She follows my gaze and shudders.

"Dead?" I ask softly.

She nods. "Yeah. I managed to cut his throat with his blade. Total luck."

She shudders again and I nod in sympathy. "Well, don't feel bad. We need whatever luck we can get."

I glance around once more and slowly try to get back to my feet. Nope. It's not happening. I'm mildly surprised when I feel Blythe put her shoulder under my arm and haul me up.

I scream as my side burns hellfire.

"I can only do this once," I say urgently. "And I can't do it for long."

She has no idea what I'm talking about but grasps whatever is about to happen is important and a once-in-a-lifetime deal. Take it and run.

I close my eyes and sway slightly. Oh, boy. I open them and focus. I'm depleted, I've already used most of the energy I'd been storing. I bite my lip and draw myself up to my full height. I drop my head and pull from my source.

I might die here today. I'm aware that this might be the last thing I ever do, so I'd better make it worth it. I finally allowed myself to admit that I love him.

I study him for a moment. Even in battle, fighting for his life, he's graceful. And gorgeous, although I could kill Ethan for the gaping slash on Julian's forehead. The blood is draining into his eyes and he's having trouble seeing Ethan's attacks.

"It's time," I murmur.

I hold onto his love. That's what he gave me that day he saved my life. He didn't just fill me with energy, which Mike and Tristan knew. I love them both for letting me figure it out on my own. It feels more real that way.

Mike said he gave me too much, and maybe he did, but Tristan knew I couldn't give it back. Because once someone hands you their heart, they don't want it back. It would devastate them enough to completely gut their soul. I'm glad I held it.

His energy and mine. His love and mine. There's so much hate on this field that this is all I have that comes close to leveling it. I focus and pinpoint seven auras that don't belong. Seven too dark, too cold, too negative auras. I flood the field with my inner spirit. John Price's daughter indeed. This is my moment. This is where I save the boy I love and the friends I cherish –and Blythe. I grin and push harder.

"Stop," I whisper.

Seven figures freeze in place. Immediately, Julian whirls around and sees me with Blythe. The look of shocked horror on his face tells me he knows what I just did. I'm sorry, I think staring into his eyes for one soul-searing moment. I had to save you. I love you.

He starts toward me. And I look at Blythe.

"Run."

Tristan and Mike both limp over together, bloodied and bruised.

Julian grabs my shoulder and I stumble hard.

"Jayme—"

"Run," I say again. "This is your only chance."

Julian's face crumples in agony. "Jayme... please."

"I love you," I say out loud. I want him to hear the words come from my lips.

One final, epic push.

"Run!' I scream.

They do. They hobble along as I use the last of what I have. The last of what my parents gave me. The last of what Julian gave me. I give it back in a way that makes it all worth it.

Julian cries out, but Mike and Tristan both haul him away from me.

I look at the seven figures slowly thawing, I'm losing my hold.

My vision flickers, like an old television set. I blink. This time when I sway, I fall to my knees. My heart stutters. I blink. This time slowly. Blood rages in my ears. I'm deaf, I think. I can't hear Julian's cries anymore.

Eyelids start to flutter. I'm almost there. I pitch forward, my hands hitting the dirt. I curl my fingers into the earth one last time.

Groans. Words. Shouts. Movement. I've lost my hold. I can only hope it was enough.

My face plants into the rough turf. I have a tenuous thread still. I'm holding something. I can't remember.

I smell dirt. It smells like heaven. It feels great. Briny. The ocean's reach is many miles inland. I inhale deeply, it's the salt of the earth, and then I'm floating away.