iii.

“Where is my scarf? Lily! I really hope for your own sake that you don't have my scarf. Where the hell is it?” Hannah practically screamed.

She was currently getting ready to go out. Yes, to the pub. She couldn't even comprehend herself, she supposed it must have had something to do with her cat-filled nightmare. Also, Lily was very persuasive. When Hannah woke up the next morning (even more exhausted than before thanks to her dream), Lily had already left.

She didn't assume anything bad but when she got home from work later that afternoon, she found a top laid out on her bed, clearly waiting for her. When she asked her sister about it, she blinked innocently, saying she “just wanted to surprise her lovely sister”. Hannah finally gave in and figured one night couldn't do any wrong, it was just the same old pub she used to go to anyway, and the idea of shots (especially for half price) seemed more and more appealing.

She reckoned that she could at least get drunk and let her hair down the best she could – so she put on the new top (it was actually very cute, the floral pattern very vintage-y and it had a unique cut-out on the back) and made herself look presentable. The only thing she needed now was her scarf, she could have left without it but it was extremely cold and she liked to snuggle up in big chunky scarfs.

Lily flew down the stairs, the scarf in her hands, guiltily murmuring an “it somehow got into my bag”. Hannah rolled her eyes and snapped it out of her sister's hands, throwing it on and checking one last time if she had everything she needed in her purse.

“Alright I'm off” she sighed. “Do NOT have an orgy or invite some boy over, I'll be home in a few hours.”

“Alright mum just go!” Lily shooed her sister out of the door, sighing in relief when she closed it after her. Her plan was going well.

Hannah walked to the pub that was only a few streets away, she hurried her steps because it was freezing and some kind of drizzle started when she was half way there. She was surprised the rain didn't turn into ice on its way down from the skies.

Finally arriving at the pub, the welcoming warmth of it engulfed her when she entered. One look at the bar, however, made her swiftly turn on her heels and walk out of the pub. She didn't succeed though, he had already seen her and Hannah shut her eyes closed when Finn yelled after her.

“Oi Hannah! Over here!” Hannah forced a pleasantly surprised look on her face with a smile, and turned to her exboyfriend. She walked to the bar and took the stool next to Finn.

“Well hi there! Didn't expect to see you here.” It was true, although Hannah had no idea who to expect at the pub at all since she hadn't been there for 5 years. She examined Finn with curious eyes; he looked even better, more mature, more manly and she couldn't help the slight flutter of her heart and the pressure in her stomach.

Finn seemed to do just the same, he surveyed his ex lover who he hadn't seen for so long. He certainly didn't like what he saw; although Hannah looked undoubtedly pretty, she seemed utterly tired and burdened. She was only the shadow of what she used to be and this was exactly what Finn was afraid to see when Lily suggested he came to the pub that night to see Hannah.

The two had met the day before when Finn passed the school and Lily was outside with her friends. He was delighted to see her and couldn't help but ask about Hannah. Lily spoke vaguely, leaving out details like the fact that her sister never really left the house except to go to work or to do the shopping. Although Finn wasn't really satisfied with Lily's description, she did suggest a little meeting at the pub between the two exlovers the following night.

“What so Lily didn't tell you that we were to meet here?”

The question took Hannah's breath away a bit, but if she thought about it, it was so Lily. She should have suspected something like this when her sister just wouldn't give up convincing her to go out. She shook her head, muttering curse words and death threats under her breath. Finn started laughing and the sound was so familiar and heart-warming that Hannah couldn't stop the grin to spread on her face either.