part 7

'NO MORE ACCIDENTS'

As she walked through the doors of the home the bird was the first one to spot her

"Nevaeh, there you are, we all have been so worried, Enoch got back an hour ago! He told me that you two were chased and- oh my heavens, what happened to you?" Miss peregrine exclaimed with a shocked voice.

With confusion slowly leaking onto her brow, Nevaeh steered herself towards the mirror and what she saw made her gasp,  there on her cheek was a deep purple bruise.

"I have no idea miss peregrine, it must have happened from when I fell whilst running away," she lied.

"Well you must certainly be careful child and thank you for retrieving the quilt but Enoch asked for your presence upstairs as soon as you returned." Miss peregrine smiled.

"Alright." she sighed as she made her way upstairs.

When she got to Enoch's room she opened the door to see the boy working heartily on some new figure to fight.
He looked up and smiled and then frowned. 

Enoch rushed over to her and gently ran a finger over her cheek.

"What happened?" he demanded.

"I fell, Miss Peregrine said you wanted me." She replied.

"Oh, yeah, come and see this," he smiled as he led her over to his work bench, and there lay a beautiful porcelain doll.

Normally Nevaeh would laugh and clap her hands at Enoch's creations but now she just forced a smile, the truth was, she was numb.

"It's for you" Enoch said whilst handing it to her.

"Thank you, she's beautiful."

Just as Enoch was about to say something in reply, Miss Peregrine's voice rang through the house,

"Children, dinner."

Nevaeh sat the doll down and followed Enoch down the stairs and into the dining room. They sat down and as the rest of the children began to arrive they all looked at Nevaeh in shock.

After a while of eating Hugh finally plucked up the courage to ask her.

"Nevaeh um, what happened to your face?"

"I fell." She mumbled and continued to fiddle with her food, obviously not wanting to talk about it anymore and thankfully, Hugh got the message.

After dinner Nevaeh and Enoch went up to his room to fight some figures and her doll sat quietly on the floor next to Enoch's feet.

After an hour or so Millard came up.

"Enoch, will you play football with me, Hugh doesn't want to?"

With an agitated look Enoch glared at him "And what makes you think that I want to either."

"Oh pleeeease Enoch." Millard whined.

Just as Enoch looked like he was going to shout at the poor boy, Nevaeh nudged him.

"Go on." she said.

With a sigh, Enoch got up and left.

With the absence of her friend, building figures wasn't any fun as they couldn't fight properly so Nevaeh decided to tidy up.

To say that Enoch's room was a mess would be an understatement, a big understatement.

An hour later, whilst she was sorting the jars Nevaeh noticed a small coin sitting on the middle shelf, she walked over to the window to get some better light.

"How pretty." she said as she turned around to put it back on the shelf, only to walk full smack into a stack of jars.

All four jars clattered to the ground. Seconds later Enoch ran into the room,

"You idiot!" He shouted, rage obvious in his voice.

"Enoch I'm sorry, I was tidying and I didn't see them." she stammered as she bent down to help him pick up the pieces.

It was only then that Enoch looked around.

"You messed everything up, now I don't know where anything is!"

"I didn't know that, did I? I was just helping!" She protested.

Enoch growled and continued to pick up the shards. As he was picking up a large bit of glass, it split, cutting his hand.

"Enoch, your bleeding!" Nevaeh exclaimed as she snatched the glass off him and tried to wipe some of the blood.

"Leave it I'm fine!" He said.

"No your not, let me help you."

"You've done enough!"

Enoch stood up but Nevaeh quickly followed, still trying to help. With Enoch still upset about the whole thing he tried to push her off.

"Get off!" He shoved her too hard and she slipped on the water from the jars and clattered against the table, knocking the doll off. It fell to he ground with a smash and Nevaeh's heart broke.

This was it for her. That stupid doll was it. She was so done.

"Nevaeh." Enoch whispered, shock evident on his face. "I didn't mean to, are you okay?"

With a few tears rolling down her cheeks Nevaeh stood up.
"No. I'm a monster, a terrible person."

"What are you talking about, of course you're not."

"Yes I am." She cried. "That poor man and your jars and the doll. I'm so sorry."

Nevaeh's breathing started to quicken and her hands went to cover her face.

"You're alright, I'm here. I'm sorry for shouting." Enoch soothed as he pulled her into a hug.
"What did you mean by 'the poor man'?"

"He was chasing me and I-" She incoherently choked out the last of her sentence before stepping away from Enoch.

"You're okay you can tell me." He said as he held out his hand.

"No. No more accidents. I'm sorry." she sniffed as she pushed passed him and ran down the stairs and out the front door.