Michael's Post

Michael posted something and I thought I'd post it here for people who don't follow him on Facebook ;) he's so sweet awe

(This is all from Michael's post, I don't claim any of it!):

"Carmel-by-the-Sea is a little town on the California coast -- a little south of Monterey. In Carmel there are no curbs and no streetlights, purposely avoided by the Founders. Carmel is serene, especially at night, usually still, with heavy ocean oxygen saturated air. It's a lovely small town. With the fog and a fire one can meditate the hours into oblivion, replaced by an ever present calm.

Last night, Saturday, the citizens were having their Centennial and there was a little sign posted just underneath the last stop sign before the city that said "expect delays". It was the rare wrinkle in the Carmel fabric of quietude.

The streets were full of merry makers and a a band playing "hooked on a feeling" and there were no parking places. I was meeting some people for dinner and I had to park a ways away from the restaurant. It was still light around 6PM but I knew when I walked back to the car it would be dark.

Carmel has a long time hardware store, Knapp Hardware, that was on the path to the restaurant so I hoped I could stop in quickly and buy a little flashlight to get me back to my car along the darkened streets. It was closed but there were two people inside working and I tapped on the door. "Can I buy something?" I asked through the slight crack that opened. The door opened wider and the younger of the two asked "What did you need?"

"A little flashlight", I said. "I had to park up by the Forest Theater and I'll need it to get back to my car after dinner here." The door opened wider. He knew what I meant. "Do you have cash?" he said "Because the register is closed."

But before I could answer he said "Or you can just pay me Monday."

He went to a board with a few flashlights hanging on it and brought back a selection of three. One was perfect. It was $6.49. As I pointed to it, he said again "Just pay me Monday" and sent me on my way.

No street lights in Carmel. Lots of trust. Knapp Hardware. I'll be there first thing Monday morning."