Chapter 1

Dinner

Catalina

"There is no need for you to worry, Cat. As long as you're safe, everything's gonna be alright." Mikhail offers his hand and I gently accept it.

It is an eerie afternoon, birds are chirping and flying in a flock, the wind blows in a cold manner and a great silence between me and my brother.

"Take care always, Catalina."

I just can't imagine that I'll be away from my family. I never knew how it feels and now, for the first time in my entire life, they sent me away for safety purposes.

"Kuya,"

"Huwag kang mag-alala dahil babalikan kita agad, for as long as the case is still going on, we can't risk your safety."

Magsasalita sana ako nang bumukas ang gate sa harap namin. Iniluwa nito ang lalaking ka edad ng ama ko.

"Mr. Alfonso," he slightly bows his head and the looks at me. "Ms. Alfonso, your sister Mikhail, yeah?"

Tumingin itong muli sa aking kapatid at tumango.

"Yes. This is Catalina," Mikhail introduced me and I nod my head once. "And Cat, this is Santiago Rodriguez. Ka-alyansa ni Papà."

"Good afternoon po," bati ko sa maliit na boses. Tumango naman si Mr. Santiago at ginawaran ako ng ngiti.

"I shall go. Please take care of my sister,"

I watch my brother turns to leave and my heart broke as I begin to realize that this is it. No more turning back.

"Pakitulungan naman ang binibini sa kaniyang dala. Make sure to unpack it neatly to the prepared room."

The man behind him nods in response and follows the order given unto him. Habang naglalakad siya, kasunod naman niya ako, inoobserbahan ang mga nadaraanan. There are lot of pots with flowers in it, there's also a bamboo nearby and a small vegetation. Hindi ko iyon matatawag na mini-garden dahil halata naman na malaki ang hardin ng pamilya niya. Napaisip tuloy ako kung sila ba mismo ang nag-aalaga nito.

"Catalina?"

I was quick to divert my attention to the old man and saw him halts in his way to the front door.

"You might be wondering but I will not be the one to stand by next to you. Your father still needs me kaya naman I assigned my eldest son to be your temporary bodyguard."

Not only I was given a flock of men-in-black but also a personal bodyguard.

"Alam kong gutom ka na kaya naman nagpahanda na ako ng hapunan para sa iyo. I won't be able to join you, though since I still have to run errands."

Paalam nito ngunit nag orient muna siya ng kaunti sa akin, I'm guessing the entire people under the roof were already oriented regarding my arrival since they don't seem so surprised to see me. Hindi ko rin inakala na tatlo lang pala ang kasambahay rito at naka-assign ito sa magkaibang areas, just like in laundry, kitchen, and house maintenance. Usually, people here are mostly armed men, the Rodriguez Mansion was completely secured. No wonder why Papà entrusted my safety with them.

Mr. Rodriguez barked orders to his men with a foreign dialect. Since I came from Manila, it was hard for me to understand the dialogue here in Cebu.

Bigla na lamang natahimik ang lahat upon the arrival of a man in suit. Hindi ko kaagad nakita ang mukha nito dahil nakasuot ito ng sunglasses. Kahit na naka-suit ay halata ang maganda nitong pangangatawan, hindi maipagkakaila na nagwo-work out. He is tall, taller and bigger than Mr. Rodriguez.

"Dad," saad nito.

I swallowed hard at the cold voice, intimidating me in every ways he can. He removed his coat and hang it on the rack, putting his brief case on the sofa.

"Son, I hope you don't mind. Please do the honor."

He removed the sunglasses and I stood there frozen in my feet. His eyes as cold as his voice, it looks like he was soulless, his orbs dark and dangerous. Crazy but I feel so small over his frame.

"I am not a babysitter." He stated, his English hard. I couldn't deny the power radiating within him.

"Ayos lang po ako rito," I say, breaking the long silence.

"This is my house, lady. If you are not informed."

My eyes grow wide but instantly hid it with indifference.

"Don't be rude, Dante. I have known the Alfonsos over the years and you know that we owe them."

"I believe I don't owe them, Dad. You. Owe. Them." His hard voice vibrated in every corner of the house, hindi ko maipagkakaila ang disgusto niya sa presensya ko.

"I believe you recognize me as your father, Son."

"I don't want to argue with you about this, Dad."

Muntik na akong mabilaukan ng sarili kong laway nang i-emphasize niya ang 'Dad'. And there, I stood between them with my hands clasped together.

"I do, too. Let's discuss this over dinner. Tomorrow, five-thirty PM sharp."

"Dad."

Nanginginig akong nakatayo sa harapan ng anak ni Mr. Rodriguez, he was basically acting dominant over me. Without saying a word, he leaves and goes somewhere God knows where.

"Ms. Alfonso, let me assist you to the dining."

A man-in-black gestures me to the same direction where Dante, if I'm not mistaken, went. Hindi na ako nagulat nang makita ito na nakaupo sa hapagkainan, he was alone and the food was prepared for two. It's either for him and me or for him and his guest, if he has one. Hindi ko naman ipagpipilitan ang sarili ko sa kanya pero na iminuwestra niya ang kaniyang kamay sa isang upuan, gilid niya ay mabilis naman akong umupo.

"Catalina," the way my name rolled in his tongue sent shiver down the spine. My head spirals as I take a look at him. His face stoic but undeniably too gorgeous for a man. "If you ever plan on staying at my place, you better know your place."

Hindi agad ako nakapagsalita. He is rude. Kahit na sobrang gwapo nito ay hindi naman maipagkakaila ang masama nitong ugali. Sanay akong kalmado sa kahit na anong sirkumstansya but whenever I'm around him, I lose all those calmness and rational part of me.

"Do you hear me, Catalina?"

My breath hitched, "yes."

"Don't mess up with me or else, I will show you how I can turn into a beast. You never know what I am capable of doing."

With a nod, he immediately turns to his meal and starts eating.

This got to be the worst dinner I ever had my entire life.